Dear Kat

Scott tapped his finger slowly as he sat the quill down against his writing table with a grim expression settled onto his face and a soft, defeated sigh escaping quietly from his lips.

The young tabaxi, who was playing with an individual light blue die that he was gifted by Scott, looked up at the prince in question, "Is everything alright?" he spoke slowly to say each word correctly and in the right language.

Scott turned to face him with a gentle grin to help settle any unease the young boy had, "It's just some boring adult things, I pinky promise everything will be alright."

With a small, satisfied purr, the young half born went back to playing with his die, completely and utterly content with Scott's answer.

Scott sighed quietly as he wrapped a small silver ring in tissue paper and slipped it into a pink velvet bag with the letter to be dispatched with Acho immediately.

The second born prince was to depart for Naturalis with Maria as soon as physically possible in order to help with whatever preparations that could be done on such short notice to make Katherine feel special enough on her big day. Acho, however, was not aware of the contents of the letter in their care, only that it needed to reach Katherine as soon as it could.

~~~

Katherine was confused as to why she had seen Acho approaching from the manor's stable, he had not been gone more than a few hours at this point and was meant to be returning the next afternoon with his brother after whatever business Scott had to do with King Hudson was settled.

She had been sat out in her garden pavilion with a few of her fellow nature faeries when the second born prince of the realm approached with the bag attached to a clip on star's hip.

"Lady Katherine, if you are free, may I steal you for a moment?" Acho tilted his head towards the faeries as a sign of respect as star was in their home, not his own, "I come bearing an urgent letter from the palace."

Katherine stood from her place at the tea table and took the outstretched arm of the prince, once they were alone she stared at him nervously, "Is everything alright? Are you and Scott alright? Is the kingdom safe?"

Acho unclipped the velvet bag and held it out, "Scott sent this for you, I don't know anything else apart from the fact that Madame Maria accompanied me at Scott's request but could not tell me anything. I'm sorry Katherine, but that is all I know of the matter," star replied.

Katherine took the bag hesitantly from the prince's outstretched hand and pulled out the note, skimming it over before dropping the note and covering her mouth with her hand.

~~~

Dear Kat,

My most dearest and beloved friend.
Kat, I am writing to inform you that my father (His Majesty, the King) has decided that we are to be wed tomorrow night upon my return to your home. I tried to argue that it would be improper and unwanted but he would not accept no for an answer without threatening my marriage to Will and later even your own safety.

Katherine, my dearest friend and closest advisor, I wish that I could do anything at all to give you the lavish ceremony that you are worthy of, but for both of our safety we must comply with the King's wishes.

Kat, I will treat you as my friend and nothing more. I promise with all my honour that you will not be expected to act as a wife in any sense of the word apart from appearing at events alongside other harem members, at least for a little while and then, if it pleases you, you can live in your own home much like Princess Maria, Princess Trixie and Princess Divinity elected to do.

Please find attached, in the same bag as this very note, an engagement ring from me to you. It comes from the great Overgrown kingdom so many centuries prior. I thought that you would like it and hope you cherish the friendship I hold for you.

Yours sincerely and with the utmost kindness and respect,
Scott Denholm

~~~

"Katherine?" Acho had to react quickly as Katherine's legs gave out beneath her after she read the letter in its entirety, "Katherine what's going on?"

After a few deep breaths, Katherine adjusted herself and attached the velvet bag to her hip, "If you'll excuse me, I have twenty four hours to plan my wedding," she announced, adjusting her skirts around her after her collapse.

"Wait what!?" Acho exclaimed, blinking in confusion at the revelation.

"Your father, His Majesty, has demanded that Scott and I to be wed tomorrow night, right here in my own home. If you could send Princess Maria to my office if she is ready and available?" Katherine tipped her head before moving off to make her way to her office.

Acho quickly grabbed her hand to stop her from leaving, "Katherine, are you sure that you are alright? You just collapsed against me and I am worried about you."

"I am fine Acho, just slightly shocked," Katherine let out a soft breath, looking up at the prince, "There are worse fates for an orphaned lady than marrying the Crowned Prince and for that I am grateful that I will be safe with Scott's friendship."

"If you are completely and utterly sure?" Acho raised an eyebrow, letting go of Katherine's hand.

"I am absolutely positive," Katherine replied.

~~~

Once she was alone in her office, Katherine let herself look at the ring with a small smile at the design. The ring was simple, a silver band with a singular pink stone set into it, nothing too flashy, exactly the way she liked it.

A quick knock at her door made Katherine pause, slipping the ring onto her finger before wiping away imaginary dust from her gown, "Come in."

"Her Royal Highness, Princess Maria Soldera, Princess Consort of the Fae Realm!" A page announced, pushing open the door of the office.

Katherine waited for the entrance of Maria, having moved to stand in front of her desk, but instead the page spoke again.

"His Royal Highness, Prince Will Renais Denholm, Prince Consort of the Fae Realm, Duke of Aquatia and Frostine!" The page called again, this time followed by the two consorts entering together, both standing side by side.

The black haired lady curtsied deeply, only to be pulled up from her gesture into Will's arms.

Will held Katherine close to his chest, "Maria and Acho briefly explained King Hudson's command to me. Katherine, are you alright?"

Katherine paused for a moment, finally checking into her emotions, before wrapping her own arms around Will, "I am shocked and angry, not at Scott, never at Scott, but at the King. The agreement was for me to marry Scott one day and we had hoped the deceitful bat would die first so it wouldn't come to fruition. No offence to Your Royal Highness," she directed the last part of her sentence towards Maria.

"None taken Katherine, his death means my freedom too. And please, call me Maria," the princess consort smiled, "Now I believe we have a wedding befitting a princess to plan, and do not worry, it will be amazing."