Chapter 18

Camila, Dinah, Normani, and Ally were hanging out at Camila's house a couple days before New Year's. New York City was one of the best places to celebrate the holiday, and Camila was determined to go see the ball drop this year. She had only experienced it through a television screen and now, she had the chance to see it through her own eyes.

However, Camila wanted to spend it with her friends. And Lauren. Especially Lauren.

"I think it's a great idea to see the ball drop," Dinah smiled, wanting to desperately get out of the house for New Year's. "but do you really think Lauren's going to want to go? She's such a hermit crab."

"And Lauren's getting chemo too, I don't know if it'd be good for her to be around such a large crowd." Normani added, still not have given the girls a definite answer on whether or not she was going. She wanted to spend time with her mother this New Year's Eve. Who knew if she'd get another?

Camila thought about it for a second and stuck her bottom lip out. "But it's New Year's. It's honestly one of my favorite holidays. It gives me hope for a better year. And I want to bring in the New Year with you guys and Lauren." She smiled.

"I'm in!" Dinah exclaimed. "I love going to see the ball drop, it's the best experience ever."

"I'll let you guys know, I might have family commitments." Normani told them.

Camila nodded understandingly and turned to Ally who had been awfully quiet since she arrived. "What about you Ally?" she asked.

Ally looked up from the floor and nodded, not really sure of what the girls were discussing.

"Awesome, you can bring Troy too if you want. And Shawn." Camila told her.

"To where?" Ally asked, tilting her head.

Camila chuckled. "To see the ball drop at Times Square. We're all planning on going. Normani's going to let us know later."

Ally nodded. "Yeah, yeah...we can go. Shawn's not big on crowds so he probably will stay with my parents. But I'll go." She smiled weakly. "Is Lauren going?" she asked tentatively. Lauren had refused to speak to her after their encounter. So Ally had left, feeling incredibly guilty. It only caused her to drink until she couldn't see her hand in front of her. They hadn't spoken since, but Ally tried to visit only to have Mike or Clara say that Lauren didn't want to have any visitors.

"We're hoping she'll try to go." Camila shrugged. "But it's uncertain. Lauren's not big on going out much, especially not now with chemo and everything. She's trying to regain as much energy as she can to be able to come back to school when winter vacation is over."

"Shit, is she really going to come back?" Dinah asked, eyebrow raised.

Camila shrugged. "She's hoping, but if the chemo keeps draining her like it has been...she probably won't." she sighed.

"We can only hope she does." Normani smiled sadly, having been given the news a couple days back.

"Yeah..." Camila trailed off.

Dinah turned to Normani. "So, what's going on with your lover Tobias?" she smirked.

Normani immediately blushed. "We're...taking things slow."

"Just say it girl!" Dinah nudged her.

Normani chewed on her lip. "We kissed."

Camila and Dinah squealed immediately. "Finally!" Dinah cheered. Ally smiled softly, having not been paying attention.

"How was it?" Camila smiled.

"Magical." Normani blushed. "It felt nice kissing him. Like, really nice." She chuckled. "He also got me a gift for Christmas. A Beyoncé sweater...and tickets to see her."