Chapter 5

Sixth period rolled around and Camila was in her locker, collecting her things to head to the library to study. That was the correct thing to do, however, the piano playing coming from across the hall made it impossible to come to that decision.

Shutting her locker, Camila practically ran to the music room (almost falling on the way there) to stop at the door. She stood there for a moment as she watched Lauren play the notes with such grace. Smiling, she stepped inside and chewed on her lower lip nervously.

Camila leaned against the piano, her hands touching the shiny and glossy grand piano as she felt the vibrations of each key playing. She closed her eyes and felt herself lose herself in the music with Lauren too. She swayed slightly to the music and felt each touch of emotion as Lauren’s fingers kissed the black and white keys, because there was such profound love that Lauren had for the instrument. And Camila could feel it, and she wondered for a moment if Lauren could love a person like she loves the piano.

Once Lauren finished, she sighed in content. “That was ‘Fin’ by Mélanie Laurent.” She said aloud, smirking. “I know you’re here Camila.”

Camila was taken back, opening her eyes and widening them immediately. “How did you—“

“Ears like a bat.” Lauren grinned. “When you’re blind, you need to depend on your other senses to get around. My ears are not just my ears, they’re my eyes too in a way.” She explained. “That, and I heard your shoes squeaking when you nearly tripped.” She chuckled.

Camila blushed a deep shade of red and looked away. “Interesting.”

“Indeed.” The other girl nodded.

“I see you’re wearing my scarf.” Camila noted, grinning even more. “It looks great on you.”

Lauren’s cheeks turned pink. “Yeah—you’re not getting it back.” She chuckled.

“It’s fine, it suits you so much more than it suits me anyways.” She shrugged, sitting on the piano bench next to Lauren. “So, um, do you have any idea what are you going to do for our assignment for art class?” Camila asked, deciding to initiate a conversation with the girl.

Lauren tapped her fingers against the ivory keys. “I was meaning to talk to you about that actually. See, in case you haven’t noticed…I’m blind.” Lauren said sarcastically.

“Wow, no way! I had no idea!” Camila exclaimed sarcastically right back.

Lauren chuckled. “Right. So obviously I have no idea what you look like.  And other than descriptions, I visualize things in my head by touch. Because like I said, when you lack on one sense you have to depend on the other senses to make up for it.” She paused. “Would you mind if I…touched your face?” Lauren asked. “Wow that sounded better in my head…”

Camila stayed quiet for a moment. If Lauren already made her feel like she was going to drop dead any second, if the girl touched her with those delicate hands on her one more time…she’d make it to heaven and back.

“Fuck, I shouldn’t have asked. I’m sorry.” Lauren immediately apologized, running a hand through her hair and taking of her glasses to rub her eyes.

“Do it.” Camila spoke up again, nodding. “It’s okay.” She whispered.

Lauren quirked an eyebrow. “You sure? I don’t want you to do it just because you feel obligated to. I know I’m not exactly the easiest partner—“

“I don’t mind, really.” Camila insisted. “We’re partners so we need to help each other in any way possible. If you can properly do the assignment this way, then why not?” she shrugged.