Chapter 27

Lauren lasted longer than she was expected to. She got to spend another Halloween, another Thanksgiving, another Christmas, and another New Year's. She got to celebrate Camila's 18th birthday, she got to celebrate her best friends and her girlfriend graduate high school, she got to celebrate her friends and her girlfriend excitement as they were accepted to their dream schools.

Dinah was going to be attending Juilliard for voice performance in the fall, full ride. Normani was going Georgetown University in Washington DC to study pre-med and Harvard's prestigious medical school was already eyeing her even though she hadn't started yet. Ally was going to the Institute of Culinary Education and was going to study pastry and baking arts, assuring Lauren she'd send her best pastries to heaven specifically for her.

After a lot of convincing on Lauren's part, Camila applied to several art schools across the country and even applied to a school that was a long shot: Royal College of Art in London. But she got in. And she was going there too. Lauren couldn't have been more proud.

Now, it was July. Lauren made it past even her own birthday, but she knew she wouldn't make it to the next one.

The day before, Lauren felt it. She just knew her time was coming now. So when she woke up with blood gushing out of her nose and gasping for air, she knew there wouldn't be a next day for her.

----------------------------------------

Lauren lied on the hospital bed, obviously weak, obviously close to leaving, and obviously with no time left. But she did have time left to say goodbye to the people who mattered most to her. She'd make sure she would have time.

Dinah stepped inside the room, obviously had been crying earlier at hearing that Lauren was in the hospital.

"Hey Lauser." Dinah greeted with a smile.

Lauren smiled weakly, heavy bags in her eyes and her skin even paler than usual. "Hey." She greeted as Dinah sat on the chair beside her bed.

"So...this is it, huh?" Dinah asked, her voice cracking. "You're really going?"

Lauren smiled sadly. "It's time, Di. But I'm not scared. I'll be okay." She said softly, patting Dinah's knee gently. "You're going to be famous, Beyoncé famous. And I'll be jamming to your music, it's going to be great."

Dinah smiled. "I'll make sure to dedicate my accomplishments to the best musician I ever knew, you." She told her.

Lauren chuckled. "Thanks, I appreciate it." She paused. "I always found you to be my musical soul mate. You always knew what I was looking for in a song. And you always helped make my songs better." She breathed out. "That's why I'm giving you my songs."

Dinah stared at her, eyes wide. "What? No, Lauren, they're yours."

"They are, yes, but why keep them stored somewhere to collect dust when they can be brought to life by your talent?" Lauren retorted. "I have notebooks filled with songs. Probably over 20 notebooks. They're under my bed. Get them and keep them. They're yours."

Dinah nodded and wiped away a tear. "Thank you."

Lauren shook her head. "No, thank you." She smiled. "I'll be remembered when people play your songs."

Dinah squeezed Lauren's hand. "No Laur, our songs."

Lauren smiled. "Even better." She whispered.

Dinah smiled. "You're the best person I ever got to know. I'm never going to forget you. Especially if you decide to haunt my ass if you can. Try not to scare me too much, but you're bitch ass will be throwing plates to my head and shit." She joked.