Chapter 7

Camila spent the next two days memorizing New York City’s streets and attractions to make sure the day spent with Lauren was a day well spent. It really wasn’t as hard to memorize, being that New York City was laid out like a gridline. Plus, New York was divided into five boroughs: Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, the Bronx, and Manhattan. So memorizing it wasn’t the most complicated thing in the world. And she had to learn her way around the grand city sooner or later.

She even had Dinah and Normani quiz her constantly and teach her the ways to get around involving the bus, the subway, and her own two feet.

“Avoid hauling a taxi cab as much as you can.” Normani had advised. “That shit’s expensive and not to mention that the cab drivers are rude as fuck—even ruder than Dinah!”

“Who?” Dinah questioned.

“I said you Di—“

The fuck asked you?” Dinah cut off midway through Normani’s response, and the two went at it with their notorious bickering.

Regardless, they really had helped Camila out when it came to planning out the day-long adventure around New York City.

“You do realize that this is technically a date, right?” Dinah smirked as they helped Camila pick out an outfit in the girl’s spacious room. Dinah was the most shocked one at how big her room was. “In my house, we’d have 10 of us sharing this room!” she had exclaimed as she looked around.

Camila blushed and tried to suppress the large grin on her face, but in no way working out in her favor. “We’re just friends.” She clarified, even though the three girls knew that it wasn’t something Camila planned to keep that way for long.

Normani snickered as Dinah rolled her eyes. “Mila, what rhymes with horseshit?” the Polynesian girl asked as she looked through Camila’s closet to pick out an outfit whilst Normani helped with Camila’s hair and make-up.

“I’m afraid to answer.” Camila asked as she and Normani shared a confused look.

“Smart choice.” Normani agreed.

Dinah shrugged, continuing anyway. “It rhymes with bullshit.” She clarified. “Why? Because it’s such bullshiterry that you and Lauren are spending the whole day together as ‘just friends’!” Dinah said, using her hands as quotation marks. “If Siope had asked me to spend a whole day with him, it definitely wouldn’t be just as friends. Not just that, but you don’t see her as just a friend. You see her as something else.”

“You and Siope were never friends to begin with.” Normani retorted.

Not the point!” Dinah exclaimed. “The point is, I think you should take advantage of this day.”

“To do what?” Camila asked obliviously as Normani brushed her long hair.

Dinah turned to her with a raised eyebrow as if she was stating the obvious. “To make your move!” the Cuban-Mexican still stared at her friend with a lost expression on her face. “Are you serious?” Dinah questioned. “Have you ever even dated anyone before?”

Camila turned red and shook her head. “No…” she muttered.

Dinah’s mouth gaped. “You mean to tell me you haven’t let anyone get a piece of that ass yet?” she exclaimed dramatically.

“Your weird fetish for my butt is getting out of hand.” Camila said seriously. “But no, I’ve never dated anyone before. I mean, I have been kissed before…but never dated anyone. I’ve gone on a couple dates but they never went farther than that because I never felt anything for them.” She explained.