Chapter 28

Lauren Jauregui died in her sleep at the arms of Camila. Camila liked to think that was a good thing, that Lauren felt no pain. But now, Camila felt pain. And unbearable pain like no other. Lauren was just...gone, lifeless. Camila woke up to cold corpse and an even heavier heart.

When you lose someone, it feels like the thing that tethered you together was cut off by a pair of scissors. And the worst part was that the living kept the pieces while the dead carried on.

Camila knew everyone was hurting over Lauren's death, she knew. But no one lost the love of their life. Yes, they lose a best friend, a sister, a daughter...but they didn't have to face the tragedy of losing the person you planned to spend the rest of your life with. Camila, she had to start all over. She had to move on as if Lauren was just a faint memory, but Lauren couldn't be faint memory to her. She couldn't, not when she splashed in color in Camila's eyes.

So, Camila cried in her mother's arms as the funeral went on. People talked about Lauren, as if they knew her the way she did. As if it pained them the way it pained her. They all called her, "an angel that left too soon" which Camila called bullshit.

Lauren was not an angel. Lauren was her African bush viper. Lauren was the person she never expected to find love in, Lauren was the person she never thought could work out but she did. Lauren was her beautiful surprise, her beautiful mess.

But now she was gone.

The thing about mourning was, it was a temporary feeling to most. It hurts at first, but eventually you find a way to go to sleep at night and wake up in the mornings without feeling like crying until your heart bleeds.

But how can you do that? How can you wake up one day and just be okay? How can you move on from someone you cherished most? How can you not spend every waking day thinking of them and every dreaming night seeing them in your dreams? Camila couldn't understand this, how can you forget a person that gave you so much to remember?

"Hello, um...I'm Ally. And this is Dinah." Ally's voice spoke up as the funeral was close to coming to an end and then the burial would take place. Where the goodbye would truly be forever. "Lauren was our best friend." Ally told everyone, her eyes puffy and red from all the crying she'd been doing. "And we loved her so much, but God had other plans for her. I like to think she's watching her funeral to make sure no one is being too dramatic." She chuckled. "So if you are watching Lauren..." Ally looked down at her friendship bracelet that she had with four other girls that changed her life. Ally felt a tear slide down her cheek and she took a deep breath. "We hope to see you again. Take care, my friend and I hope you enjoy this song that Dinah wrote for you." Ally nodded to Dinah and the girl quickly began playing the piano.

It's been a long day without you my friend

And I'll tell you all about it when I see you again, Ally sang softly, her eyes watering.

We've come a long way from where we began

Oh, I'll tell you all about it when I see you again

When I see you again

Ally took a deep breath and looked at Dinah who gave her a nod of encouragement to keep singing, Why'd you have to leave so soon?

Why'd you have to go?

Why'd you have to leave me when I needed you the most?

'Cause I don't really know how to tell ya

Without feeling much worse

I know you're in a better place

But it's always gonna hurt, Ally sang, her voice thick with emotion that she felt she'd start crying uncontrollably if she kept going.