prologue

I studied his face, most of his features pointing out that he was angry. His jaw clenched tightly and his eyebrows were furrowed as he looked around the train, sighing before turning his attention back to the little girl. His green eyes softened upon noticing she was nestled on my lap, but flashed annoyance once he realized she was sleeping on a total stranger, not that I had a problem with it.

"Oh, shit" his thick, smooth accent filled the room. "My apologies, she's had a long day." He sighed and went to lift her off me but I stopped him.

"No, that's sleeping child rule number one. I don't mind." I shook my head, laughing softly. I didn't want to disrupt her after it had taken almost 20 minutes for her to fall into slumber, and I felt like the man deserved a break from her constant whining.

His lips curved into a slight grin as he nodded slowly, briefly holding eye contact. Dear god he was attractive.

His gaze averted back down towards what I assumed to be his daughter and he twirled one of her light brown locks between his ring enclosed fingers. "Her names Anabelle. Beautiful, isn't she?"

I nodded in agreement, glancing down at the little todler on my lap. "She is. Shouldn't she be, um, in bed by now?"

It was silent for a bit and his stare on me hardened. For some reason I almost felt intimidated. "Not that it's any of your business, my last sitter quit unexpectedly, and work calls." He responded lowly. Oh?

I bit my lip to refrain myself from calling him a dick considering I did have a tendency to cuss without even realizing.

Anabelle as I now know stirred in my arms, so I carefully lifted her legs to wrap around my torso as her head fixated itself into my neck. Sure, the man was borderline rude but she must be tired as shit, considering it's almost 1 am and way past a normal bedtime.

I was pretty sleepy myself, so I laid my head back and closed my eyes, although I knew I wouldn't be able to fall asleep.

About 15 minutes of silence later we came to a halt and I sighed happily, wanting nothing more to jump into bed and sleep forever. I grabbed my purse and laughed silently at the fact that Anabelle still clung onto me even when I got up.

I basically stood there like a lost puppy with raised eyebrows, silently asking the man what he'd want me to do with his half in coma child.

"I'll take her from here," he murmured getting to his feet, and that's when I noticed how tall he was. I was in heels, but he still managed to tower over me.

I handed her over to him, although she was on the brink of waking up. "Thank you...." He trailed off, unaware of my name.

"Not that it's any of your business, but it's Adrina, I prefer Adri" I used his own words against him, fake smiling. "Have a nice night."

A smirk tugged at the corner of his lips at my retort in shock, and with that I turned on my heels to proceed exiting the not so clean train.

Before I had the chance, however, his hand tugged at my wrist, almost yanking me against his side.

The sleeping toddler was hoisted up by his left arm, and his free hand slid towards my tight dress to pull it down, as if it was too short. His big hands arose goose bumps on my skin and I shuddered as his mouth came fairly close to my ear. "Goodnight, Adrina."

;;
hello! this is a new story im working on, I'd love to get some thoughts on what you think so far.
xx