ten

ADRINA

"You'll be working the coat shift." My mother says to me, taking a seat at the entrance of the decorated building, ready to greet incoming parents and faculty.

"You are joking with meeee" I groan aloud, dropping my hands to my sides. It was bad enough she was forcing me to work this school event, but now I have to stand in a closet all night while I spent so much time getting nicely dressed up.

"Does it sound like I'm joking, Adrina?" She sighs. "Please just do it. I have so much on my plate and this is really something I cannot deal with. People will be showing up any minute. You'll be doing me a great favor, I promise I'll find a way to repay you."

"Okay," I mumble under my breathe, lifting up my dress as I walk down the hallway and to the coat closet. It was best if I just agreed early on, because she could fight with me all day if she wanted to. I don't have the energy to move like that, however.

I spent a few hours getting ready, and a large chunk of that time was due to me dancing along to my playlist in the mirror as I tried to dress up. My hair was was sleek and styled to the side, and I had on a silver shirtwaist dress with a faux fur wrap to match, playing along with the 1920's theme. This was all to be hidden behind a door by myself all night.

I set up a chair and table with jacket numbers for myself, plugging in my earphones as I wait for people to arrive. If only I knew I'd be stuck here, I'd have asked Valerie to join me.

The night goes by agonizingly slow, and I still find myself checking people in even an hour after the event began. I did make a few tips here and there, but most of the people coming in and out were snotty as hell. They'd shove their coats and heavy jackets right in my face and exit without a word, sometimes not even waiting to get their ticket.

I didn't even bother to chase after em though. I thought of Future saying "chase a check, never chase a bitch" and pretty much let that motto run my night. It was kinda amusing though.

As I'm organizing one of the many clothing items thrown carelessly on the table, I feel a light tap on my shoulder.

"Yes?" I turn around breathlessly, a fist full of hangers in my hand.

"I'd like to check this in, if you don't mind." Harry jokingly speaks as if he doesn't know me, handing me the expensive looking fur coat. I nearly drop all my hangers as I glance at him wearing a delicious pin striped suit, however I hold myself together and hang up the last of the outerwear in my grasp. His effortless attraction was something I never could comprehend.

"Mr. Styles" I say with a dramatic breathe of relief. "You have no idea how glad I am to see a familiar face." Walking around the table I go to give him a polite hug.

He chuckles behind my back before breaking our embrace. "It's always my pleasure. But I wouldn't get the hopes up too much, these events are just endless hours of talking rubbish. I tend to leave fairly early."

I purse my lips at the distasteful information Harry had just given me. I'm not necessarily the best with conversing with people I don't know nor care to know. "Well then, I think I can try to sneak my way out of here after I'm sure all the guests have checked in..."

I think about it in my head momentarily, feeling out the idea, while also feeling a set of eyes roam my frame. I turn to Harry who's in fact watching me, not even noticing that I've noticed.

After a few moments a new guest walks through the door, snapping Harry out of the small daze he was in, and I stick a piece of stranded hair behind my ear as I try not to giggle. He looked a little confused at himself.