Chapter 12: The Boy Next Door

Ariella's POV:
     I lay on my bed, swiping through old pictures on my phone. Memories after memories come flooding back every in digital moment captured in time. Even as I scroll through, something stays in my headspace, or someone, I should say. CJ Cruise, the boy next door. He reminded me of winter. His blonde hair, resembling the frosty snow that covered the earth like a white blanket, the way he smelt of peppermint and that warm feeling that overtakes you when you look in his eyes, almost like sitting by a fire during the cold winter's night. He was so perfect. My thumb continued swiping through old pictures before i stopped on a particularly old one.
      It was me and my dad. All thoughts of CJ quickly vanished as they settled on Beckham. He had lost a parent too, just like me. Without thinking, I got up, slid on my coat and walked down a few streets, to the Ellis' house. I didn't know why, but seeing my dad just made me want to speak to Beckham, to comfort him. Perhaps i saw myself in him, and wanted to provide that feeling of safety i so desperately wanted when i lost my dad. I knocked on the door. A few seconds later, it swung open to reveal a very shabby looking Beckham. His hair was all messed up, his glasses lopsided and still in his pajamas.

Beckham's POV:
    "Oh, Ari, sorry i wasn't expecting anyone. I would've made myself more presentable. Please, come in" i step out of the way so she could come inside. "Thank you. I should've let you know i was coming. To be honest I don't even know why i'm here..Here take a look at this" she hands me her phone. Fixing my glasses, i look at the photo. It's a young girl, who looked about 3 or 4. She had curly reddish-brown hair and had a face covered with strawberry ice cream. Standing next to her, a tall man with short hair of the same colour stood holding her tiny hand.
     "Your dad.." i said. "Yeah. Listen Becks. I know, it's hard. You lost a parent and all of a sudden you're being introduced to some random strangers that are apparently going to replace them. I just want to let you know, it's ok. I'm here if you ever need to talk" she whispers. "Thanks" I smile. "And by the way, you and your mum, it's one of the best things that ever happened in me and dad's life in a long time, so don't think you're making it hard for me" i place my hand on her shoulder.
     "If you don't mind me asking, how did your dad die?".  She took a deep breath. "He was diagnosed with cancer a little while after this picture was taken. He fought for 8 years before he died.." i could see a tear start to form in her eyes. "I'm sorry.. my mum died when i was 7. I was supposed to have a little sibling but there were complications with the pregnancy and..." he could no longer form anymore words. Tears slid down his cheeks. Both siblings hugged each other in an attempt to comfort one another.
     "It hit dad really hard. He started drinking and then it got out of control. Even when he wasn't drunk it was like he wasn't my dad anymore. It changed him so much..."