O N E

Imagine Aaron as the beautiful Eddie Redmayne 

The class was boring, I fought to keep my eyes open as my teacher talked about the civil war but I couldn't tell what he was talking about anymore because my eyes were closed. The light flashed on the wall saying that class was over and I got up and took all my books with me. My best friend Jamie tapped me on the shoulder.

"Want to go to the cafeteria?" he said. I said yes and grabbed my phone and money from my locker. "Do you think you're ready for the history test?" Jamie asked me. I looked at him and gave him an amused look. I looked at my hands for a second as they started signing. "Dude? Did you see me snoring in Keller's class?" I laughed. "Fair enough," Jamie replied. It was Friday; the 13th to be exact. That just meant horror movie marathon at my place.

Friday meant pizza for lunch in the cafeteria. The biggest decision I had to make on a Friday was whether I was going to get pepperoni, cheese or vegetable pizza. I had no idea how Jamie could survive being a vegetarian, I remember one day him Jamie just showing up to school in year 5 and telling me that he wasn't to eat meat anymore and there he sat eating a raspberry jam sandwich. At the time I disgusted with my best friend and when I told my mother about it, she tried to eliminate meat from my diet as well. I was horrified to what the world had come to. No meat from a human beings diet? What is this life? What is human without its meat?

I was about to walk forward into the big school cafeteria when Jamie put his hand in front to stop me. "look." Looking forward, my eyes landed upon three girls in matching t-shirts that had the logo of our school and then volunteer written on the back of their shirts. "They're hot," I said as I ogled one with light hair tied up on the top of her head with strands falling out who looked about our age.

"I'm going in," Jamie exclaimed with a shot of energy and turned to me. He patted the back of his hair down to flatten it and spiked the top of his dark brown hair. "Do I look okay?" he asked.
"You look the same every day, Jamie." He pushed me away and started walking to the girls. I knew he was going to get shot down, be use he came on too strong. I could see what Jamie was saying.
"So what is a pretty girl like you hanging around a dump like this?" I could see the girls starting to laugh at him, they must have been people who could hear and obviously they didn't understand what Jamie was trying to communicate to them through sign language. Jerks.

I could sort of read their lips. One said "oh my god. What is he saying?" I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms. "He's probably flirting with you, what a loser!" Jamie looked a little hurt. They were total bitches, what did they expect if they were volunteering at a deaf school. The light haired girl turned around and looked like she was telling them off. I concentrated on her lips, "liv, what the hell! He's got fingers," fingers? Oh, feelings. I chuckled at my mistake and watched Jamie come back.

"Don't even say it," he said to me. "I wasn't going to." I replied. We waited in line in the cafeteria for our pizza and we were lucky because there were only two pieces left which usually wouldn't be enough but it would have to do.
"This is why I don't even think about dating hearing girls." Jamie shrugged his shoulders as we ate. I looked over at those volunteering bitches and didn't see them at all.

They must have moved to the library where they were volunteering. Every year we held a book sale and had student volunteers come work the book sale from our own school and from others.
"Says the guy who hasn't even kissed a girl," Jamie threw back. I threw a pepperoni at him and he squirmed. "Veggie eater."
He picked off a tomato from his pizza and ate it proudly. I shook my head and took another bite of my meat lovers pizza. He wiped his mouth and threw out his plate.

"Did you use your voice when you went up to that girl?" I asked and wiped my hands on my jeans. Jamie shook his head.
"Yeah, they made fun of that too." His lips tightened. I shrugged my shoulders and sighed. "Birds of a feather, flock together." The bell flashed on the wall which meant it was time for the younger kids to eat. Jamie had to go for a basketball meeting so I was left by myself. I walked to my locker and retrieved my history homework for tomorrow and headed to the library. My phone buzzed and I looked at the snapchat coming through. It was from Jamie, it was a picture of those horrible girls walking in the hallway with a starbucks drunk. 'White bitches on the move' was the caption. I laughed and slammed my locker shut.

I looked at my year twelve text book and flipped through the pages. How on earth was I going to manage to pass? I hated history class, Mr. Keller made it so boring that the photos in the textbook went on lunch break because they could only take so much him. Opening it to the hard cover in the front of the book where people had written their names in, I searched for mine that I permanently scratched in with a mechanical pencil. I was focused on that until I hit my head on something hard. I dropped my book and looked around.

The person I bumped into was the girl that was volunteering with her bitchy friends. She was saying something and looking at me. I held my hands out I front of me to make her stop talking. Then pointed to myself and signed the word deaf. She was a little shocked yet scrambled. Her lips started moving fast again and I slowed her down again.

She held out one finger to tell me to give her a moment. The girl typed something into her phone and turned it around for me. "I'm so sorry, I'm the biggest egg head." I laughed and she looked so apologetic. I signed back. "It's okay. I'm in no hurry." I signed and tried to mouth the words for her. She backspaced everything and typed something else. "I'm sorry, I don't understand." I read off the phone. Inhaling a deep breath I stopped her again.

"Slow down and watch me." She nodded, the girl understood and mouthed the words I said to her. Nodding with approval and the light haired girl got excited then watched me again. The corner of my lips curved at her enthusiasm, she wasn't like her friends. I was sure of it. I signed slower for her again, "It's okay, I'm in no hurry." She read my lips as I signed and she looked like she understood.

"I'm-" she said it so quickly, I didn't understand it. "Again?" I asked her. She mouthed it slower.
"I'm-" she stopped for a second and thought. "M, A, D, D, Y." She spelled out her name with the sign language alphabet which made me smile. She was trying, Maddy was trying hard to communicate and it looked like she actually knew what she was doing. "We learned the alphabet in primary school," she explained. "I'm Aaron," she tried copying the sign for my name but got sort of lost. I held out my hand for her phone and she gave it to me, I typed my name into it so she could at least know what it sounded like.

Maddy read it and nodded.
It made me laugh and I took her hands and moved them the right way. Then did the sign myself. "Aaron," this time she got it. I stuck to thumbs up and Maddy looked happy.
"What's the sign for thank you?" She asked me. Put my hand flat and touched my chin with the tip of my fingers and then moved my hand out in front of me. "Well..." Maddy copied what I did and giggled. "I have to go, but maybe I'll see you around? Aaron." I understood what she said and then nodded. "Yes." She copied the yes sign and then I waved goodbye thinking that it was the last of her but Maddy turned around and waved again and signed my name.