T W O

Imagine Maddy as Natalia Vodianova

I watched the timer count down on the microwave and the timer hit zero.  "Why do we do this to ourselves?" Jamie asked as he sat on the kitchen counter in his PJ's. "C'mon. Tradition, dude. The unwritten rule states that every Friday the 13th, both of us must watch at minimum four horror movies." I was the horror movie junkie, never Jamie. He always guilt tripped me before I hit play.

"Four? Are you kidding me? No, Aaron." I held my hands up in defense and took the popcorn out of the microwave and walked to the couch. Jamie reluctantly pressed play on The Conjuring, the subtitles made the movie less scary. Then Jamie paused the movie. I lifted my hands. "Jamie, it isn't that scary. Grow a pair!"

Jamie grabbed the popcorn from me and put it on his lap. "What do you think of that girl?" I screwed up my face and threw it back into the cushions in the couch. "Is this what you paused the movie for? Some girl talk?" He rolled his eyes and shook his head. "No seriously, what do you think of her?" I shrugged my shoulders even though I knew what I thought of her.

"She seems like a really decent person, I guess." He looked satisfied with my answer. "Do you think she'd go out with me? If I asked her too." I shrugged my shoulders again. "With Maddy? I think so, but there is always that barrier." He shrugged his shoulders. "You know her name?" I nodded. He pushed the thought aside.
"Never mind. She could learn." I looked at my so called best friend as if he was a crazy person.

"Yeah because some hearing girl is going to put away time to learn another language for a boy." I rolled my eyes. "Well it would take time and I'm pretty decent at lip reading and I'm going to speech therapy." Excuses excuse.

"Dude, it won't work." He shook his head. "You don't know that." I stopped him talking.
"Do you know the percentage of unsuccessful deaf/hearing relationships? 85% Jamie." Jamie looked upset. "How do you know that?" I looked guiltily down at the cushions beside me. "You don't think I don't want a girl of my own? I know the facts, it's harder for us. That's why I'm just waiting around for a girl who happens to be like us." Jamie ran his fingers through his short hair and then his hand came down and slapped his leg.

"Never mind, Aaron. Let's just watch the stupid movie." I didn't have to hear the tone of his voice understand he was sulking. Jamie had never been this when it came to a girl, he'd get over her the same way as he's gotten over the others. The only difference was that this one, Maddy was different and everyone knew it, you could tell by just looking at her.

I watched the movie without even really paying attention to it. The subtitles got annoying after a while and I just closed my eyes. I was exhausted and I was so glad it was June. Only one month until my birthday and only 3 weeks until final exams. Then I was in my last year of high school and then I was free. My eyes kept opening and closing and then I gave up and let myself drop into a deep sleep.

The next time I woke up it was morning. I must have been really tired to sleep through a horror film and to fall asleep on the couch in my living room. My mum was still on her shift at the hospital it meant that she wouldn't be back until at least 10am and that when she came back that we shouldn't even acknowledge her because unlike the characters in the horror film, she's real. I've seen enough zombie movies to know how dangerous they are.

I pulled my watch from the coffee table and checked the time. 8:23 am, why did I wake up so early? It was well past two when I fell asleep although I wouldn't want to be wasting daylight and my mother always says, which is highly hypocritical of her because she sleeps during the day all the time. I know, I know, she's a nurse and she has an excuse but still.

I chucked a pillow at Jamie and he scrambled to put on his glasses I made fun of him about, I think it's because of me that he needs to wear contacts but when he doesn't have contacts, he's Mr. Nerd. "What? I was asleep! Bastard." If there was anything Jamie loved more in this world, it was girls and if it wasn't girls it was sleep. It was like trying to wake up a dragon who had a breath of fire, it was dangerous and you should keep your distance. But you see, I'm the dragon tamer, I do this stuff all the time.