T W E N T Y - N I N E

Needs to be edited, you've been warned.
*Up above is how I see Aaron's mum*
I swear to you, my eyes never closed that night. My finger hovered over that send button but after an hour, my wits and common sense came back to me and slowly I back spaced that sentence. The wrest of the night I had turned off my phone and put it into a shoe box in my closet so I couldn't make any swift stupid decisions at a moments notice. Though that meant I didn't talk to her at all that night.

I didn't talk to anyone, not even my mum. Well I did but only a few words.
"How did she do?" She asked.
"She won first place," I mumbled as I laid my pathetic self down on the couch. She sat in front of me, I only looked at her hands.
"Does that mean...?"
"Yes," I spat. She smiled I could see. "That's wonderful!" I glared down at her hands and rolled my eyes.
"I guess." That was it the whole day, those were the only words we exchanged. The rest I spent doing homework. It was a bit of maths, and art homework. The art homework was to draw a person in your art class so I just decides to draw Lucas. I spent all of the next day meaning Sunday drawing and then finishing my math homework later on that night. That brought us to Monday.

Monday's are usually a bad day because it ends all good things, it ends your micro vacation, ends the two day streak of sleeping in, ends the blissful two days where you don't have to see any of the people who bother the crap out of you. But in this case it also ended my short but sweet love story.

Well... It didn't end it, it put it on pause. Let's back up a bit... Let's go to Sunday evening. The night before she left. I finally had the guts to turn my phone back on. I had one text from her, she sent it Saturday night.

Maddy: I have a request

That made my mind explore all the possibilities of that sentence, it could really mean anything. And of course being Aaron Faulkner - I thought of the worst. My palms sweat as I typed a request.
Me: what might that be?

She didn't waste any time responding to it, I did take a whole day to reply and she was going to be gone the next day so time was precious at this point.
Maddy: do you sleep in a t shirt?

I won't lie, a smirk came to my face when I realized the request. I sat on my bed and then laid on it, stretching out like a starfish. My hand went behind my head as I laid down and typed a reply.
Me: not usually... Depends. Why?
Maddy: do you think you could tonight? 'Cause I want to bring something that belongs to you with me and it would be even better if smelt like you

My smirk became wider and a little bit of my doubts and insecurities melted away. You know she loves you, you idiot I thought to myself.
Me: do you want a t shirt or long sleeve?
Maddy: surprise me

I wasn't going to school tomorrow so I stayed up for quite a while talking to her. She sent me the picture her mum took of us that night of the dance, The picture took me back to that night, every event came flooding back in the duration of ten seconds. The guilt of knowing I caused heartbreak, telling her I knew, she telling me she didn't love me anymore, wanting her to love me again, seeing her kissed by jamie, running off, figuring out I loved her too, going home a broken person and being ignored by her for a little while. That was all in one picture of her in that dress with her hair put back the way it was and I in a navy suit with my arm around her waist, secretly but not so secretly looking dotingly upon her. All of that caught in one photo. If all of that was caught in only a photo, what was shown in real life?

We said our good nights around 3:30 Monday morning which meant that I had 4 hours till I had to get up and get to her house.
Before I slept, I made sure I put on my favourite shirt to take with her. As I laid awake I put my hands on my tummy where the cloth of the nice grey and blue t shirt was, this was going all the way to Italy with her. I didn't know what she would do with it, if she would sleep in it or just have it with her but I was happy a part of me in some stretch was going to be with her.
I pet the fabric as weird as that was and hoped she wouldn't forget about me. Then I rolled over on my side, grabbed a pillow from beside me to wrap my arms round and fell asleep.