N I N E

Out of the 30 people all together who showed up for the course, we were divided into five groups. Those for groups depended on the positions that were given to us or that interested us.
- Director
- Playwright
- Costume designer
- Set designer
- Actor

We had five playwrights, five costume designers, five set designers, five directors and ten actors. Even though it was advertised as an actor and director crash course, the teacher wanted to give us the full experience of the theatre by making more roles in the theatre.

I was happy I was in the same group as Elizabeth. Her presence made me smile, it was like nothing I'd ever experienced. I tried to imagine what her voice sounded like, although I'd never hear it, I thought maybe it would sound deep for a girl but with some special quality to it to make it sound rich and feminine and gently on the ears.

I just realized realized I had been staring off into space when a boy next to me tapped me on the shoulder. He pointed to Elizabeth.
"Aaron, are you alright?" Elizabeth asked. I rubbed my eyes and nodded my head. "Yeah, just tired. I didn't go to bed till three, sorry." She pursed her lips and smiled awkwardly.

"So, we have a month and a half to put a show together. But until we get a script together, we don't have anything to direct." Elizabeth signed and talked for the rest of them. "So what do we do until then?" I asked her. Elizabeth shrugged her shoulders and told the rest of them what I asked.

A girl with raven black hair was talking to Elizabeth and was signing what the girl was saying for me.
"We could introduce ourselves, I don't know half of the people in this workshop." Everyone looked like they agreed with each other so everyone turned into more of an actual circle with their chairs.

The five of us pulled our chairs close. Elizabeth looked around and put her hands in front of her.
"I'll go first," Elizabeth said. "My names Elizabeth Owens, I'm seventeen and if your wondering my I'm signing whilst I speak is because I'm hard of hearing and my friend across from me is deaf. All I ask of you is that look at me when you're trying to speak to me and be clear with your words."

The girl with raven black hair was saying something and I had to wait for Elizabeth to reply.
"No, so I'm hard of hearing. It means that I started loosing a little bit of my hearing when I was in primary school but I still can hear a little bit." The girl nodded and then it was the boy next to me.

"I'm D, E, R, E, K. I'm in my second year of uni and majoring in theatre." Elizabeth interpreted for me. Derek seemed like a man of very little words. He crossed his arms into his chest and slouched back in the plastic chair. Derek tapped his foot impatiently and didn't look like he wanted to be here at all. Then why was he here?

It was next. I didn't want to be, I didn't want to share personal information about myself to strangers.
Elizabeth nodded and I started to communicate through her.
"I'm Aaron, I'm seventeen and I want to be a director. One thing you should know about me is that I'm deaf, not stupid and no matter how loud you talk, I'm still not going to hear it. I need you to speak very very clearly for me to read your lips and I'll do my best to try and communicate." I was planning to make it sound a little more aggressive but I decided last minute that I should maybe try and get off on that right foot.

Everyone nodded and seemed like they respected what I said. Then the next boy went. He had thick black glasses and shaggy hair. Elizabeth told me his name was Desmond. I don't think he said anything else and came off as a man of very little words.

Raven haired girl's name was Anastasia. She was eighteen and I could tell she was distracted by a certain someone across her. She obviously was interested in Derek. She gave him these big dreamy and lustful eyes as he looked down at his boat shoes. He was clueless. He'd probably always be until she stopped her interest in him and he started his interest in her. What a clueless, thick-headed ass.