T E N

It was 5:00pm and I was supposed to meet Jamie out here and his mum who were going to bring me home but no one had come yet so I sat on the concrete steps outside the Battersea arts centre. I stayed well away from Maddy after. She obviously had some issues she had to deal with but it was eating me alive when it came to what she wanted to say to me. J

I sat on the concrete steps with my hands in my lap looking around, waiting for Jamie and his mum to come pick me up. I saw Derek walk down the steps, earbuds stuck in his ears and his hands shoved deep in his pockets. Then followed Anastasia who sat a few steps below me with her hands on either side of her.

I knew she was watching Derek walk away from the arts centre with no idea or hint in the world about how Anastasia probably felt about him. I flicked my eyes over to him and then back to her.
I climbed down the steps to beside her. The raven haired girl turned her head and she looked as if she had been crying. Her hands came to her eyes and frantically rubbed her eyes from the salty tears.

"You like him, don't you?" I mouthed and signed slowly so she could understand. How do you know that? I saw her lips say.

I pulled my phone open to notes and typed it down. You stair at him and you look like a love sick puppy. Plus I know the difference between tears for sadness and tears for heartbreak.

As soon as she read or she let herself go and water came out of her eyes like a fountain. She took the phone from my hands and her fingers trembled on the buttons.
Derek led me on for months and now he's ignoring me and I don't know what to do.

"Screw him." I mouthed and she seem to understand. "Show him what he's missing out on." She laughed and got up. Anastasia told me she had to go and thanked me. Then I was by myself again.

The cars and the buses zoomed passed me and the concrete I was sitting on made my but feel like I had lost my bum somewhere because I couldn't feel it. It was sort of funny because even when I repositioned myself, it sort of just made it worse.

I must have been day dreaming because I jumped when someone grabbed my shoulders and I nearly pissed myself when my cheek was gifted with a kiss. I sprung to my feet and turned around to see a giddy and beautiful Elizabeth laughing her arse off.
"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" She exclaimed quite excitedly. I just got a kiss on the cheek.
My hand went to my cheek felt the light pink lip stain she had on.

Maddy stood next her and she still looked inside of herself. Her hands were tucked into her chest and her smile was half. I wanted to be a little more concerned about Maddy but I couldn't stop touching my cheek.

"How did you know it was my birthday?" I asked. "Maddy told me. By the way, how do you know each other?"

Maddy came forward. "That book fair day, I volunteered with a few other girls. And we just bumped into each other and kind of stayed in touch. But how do you two know each other? Because Aaron was the guy I was telling you about, I invited him and Jamie to the Summer solecist ball and hoped that he could be your date." Elizabeth and I both looked at each other and both laughed.

"We knew each other in primary school and lost touch when we went to different schools." Elizabeth explained. She nodded slowly and a look of jealousy came across her face which was as clear as day. They stood awkwardly around he three of us until I blurted something out uncontrollably.

"Elizabeth did you kiss me?" She wrinkled up her cute little nose. "On the cheek. Don't get to big headed about it."
"But I wasn't ready!" I whinged like a two year old. She laughed and walked up to me. Placed her hand on the side of my head which set my arms to tingle and kissed my cheek and then I did something.

My head turned swiftly so our lips met. She didn't pull back and surprisingly waited till I was finished. I couldn't explain what it was like clearly. I felt fireworks going off in my stomach and my knees grew week but over all my body felt feeble. I put my palms on her face and I felt her body go limp. I believe she was enjoying it but then to my dismay, she pulled back and look do like a dear caught in head lights. That didn't matter, at least I could say Elizabeth was my first kiss.

"Aaron!" Her face was a mix of sheer shock, fear and I swear to god, she had this look on her face as if she was ready to dive back into my lips.
"Happy birthday to me!" I smirked as I signed. Her Elizabeth's eyes grew wide and her freckled cheeks turned a soft pink. Pink was a pretty colour on her.

Elizabeth crossed her arms with a perky little smile and avoided eye contact with me. But Maddy was unreadable, she had this blank expression which made me uncomfortable. I could tell she was a little off right now. But then she raised her arm and began to wave. I swung around to see Toby and Jamie walking up the steps of Battersea arts centre.

Toby gave me a small hug but bro like. "Happy birthday, mate." I gave him a thumbs up and thanked him.

I pulled Jamie over to Elizabeth, Elizabeth still really couldn't look at me, I think she was embarrassed.

"Jamie, do you know who this is?" he shook his head. Elizabeth smirked as she tried to help him out. "Really? You don't recognize the fuzzy red hair and the awkward height or the hearing aids?" she asked. I didn't even notice the hearing aids. They were so small and were barely visible. Jamie still didn't recognize her.

"Do you remember Mrs. Owens daughter?" I asked. Jamie squinted at me and then Elizabeth then his eyes became as large as two eggs and looked baffled.

"oh my gosh, Elizabeth!" Jamie reached over and pinched her cheeks which made her cheeks flush a pink colour. "After all these years and I'm still taller than you," he said. Elizabeth scowled and crossed her arms.

"Nice to see you too Jamie," they both opened their arms and hugged each other briefly. After Jamie went to go see Maddy beside Elizabeth. They were talking to each other, Maddy was still upset and I still didn't know why. Jamie was comforting her, he had her in a tight hug and played with her gold hair. As much as I hate to admit it, he was a good boyfriend to her. The only problem was that she didn't return the favour.

Toby walked over to me again. "Who's she?"
"The girl of my dreams," I said. He shook his head and was humoured by my words. "She was in my primary school, she's hard of hearing, she can sign, she's beautiful, and I kissed her." I rambled.

Toby slowed me down. "You what!?"
My smile grew like a Cheshire Cat, "I, Aaron Faulkner, kissed Elizabeth. Best birthday gift ever!" He laughed.

I'm so so sorry for the short chapter but if I kept it any longer, I wouldn't have done anything better but hopefully there is enough activity in the chapter to ruffle some feathers.
See you soon!!