Chapter 3 - Determination

Chapter 3 

It's New Year's Eve, and every household is busy preparing food and drinks for New Year's Eve. Shen Wandi couldn't go to Hu's house to ask for advice from her good friend Xu Qing, who was married, so she had to stay at home and help Zheng Qiu.

Seeing her distracted look, Zheng Qiu knew that she was encountering a problem. However, his daughter knew what it was like, so she didn't rush to ask. She just waited for Shen Wandi to tell him when she couldn't hold it in any longer.

"Mom." Sure enough, after a while, Shen Wandi spoke on her own.

While Zheng Qiu was busy, he asked, "What's wrong?"

Shen Wandi poured all the questions that had tortured him for two days to Zheng Qiu like beans from a bamboo tube, blinked his big eyes, and waited. He asked his own mother to give him advice.

After hearing this, Zheng Qiu wiped his hands and pulled Shen Wandi to sit on the sofa in the living room, looking like he was having a long conversation.

"Wandi, he likes you, then do you like him?"

Shen Wandi thought for a while, "I don't know what liking looks like, but I don't hate him, and I feel very comfortable when I'm with him. ."

Her daughter has not yet awakened to love. Zheng Qiu can't say it's good or bad, but Zheng Qiu's two contacts with Ji Yanli show that he is a person worth trusting.

In short, my daughter does not hate Ji Yanli. Emotional matters can be cultivated. Just like she and Shen Qingshan have come through step by step. Zheng Qiu thinks that he has a good eye for people.

"Then do it according to your wishes. What's the point of worrying about it?"

Shen Wandi thought to herself. Since she has good feelings for him, there's nothing to worry about. Just let it take its course.

After figuring this out, Shen Wandi stopped worrying and began to concentrate on helping Zheng Qiu.

According to the rules of Beijing, these sumptuous New Year meals must be prepared in advance. Because there is a taboo in old Beijing. When the old and new years change, you cannot use the knife. Otherwise, it will be unlucky and cause disaster.

Except for knives, even scissors, needlework, etc. are not allowed to be used to avoid quarrels and needle holes. So you have to prepare the food well in advance of the year.

It is not until "Po Wu" (the fifth day of the Lunar New Year) that you can chop meat and vegetables with a knife.

New Year's Eve is a day of reunion. Grandpa Shen and Grandma Shen were gone before Shen Wandi was born. Shen Qingshan didn't have any brothers or sisters, so the family of three was clean.

Although there are few people, there is still plenty of things that should not be missing. There is a large table full of dishes. Today Zheng Qiu made an exception and allowed Shen Qingshan to drink one more glass of wine.

In his early years, Shen Qingshan hurt his stomach due to long-term irregular eating, and he also loved drinking. Zheng Qiu had no choice but to control him and limit the amount of alcohol he drank.

After the New Year's Eve dinner, we start making dumplings. During the New Year, whether you are a rich person or a poor person, you must eat dumplings.

A family of three huddled in the kitchen. Although it was quiet, it was extremely cozy.

...

The Ji family was quite lively, because Mr. Ji was still there, so all three of Ji Yanli's family returned to the old courtyard to celebrate the New Year with the old man.

Mr. Ji devoted himself to the war in his early years and made great achievements. It would not be an exaggeration to say that he is a national treasure. Now that he is older, he has taken the initiative to step down from his position and leave it to more young people to display their skills.

Ji Yanli also had an aunt who got married and moved to Hong Kong in her early years. In those ten years, many people talked about this matter. Thanks to Mr. Ji's existence, the Ji family did not sink to the point of devolution.

But because of this, she lost contact with her aunt Ji Huifang. When Grandma Ji passed away, she was still thinking about her aunt Ji Huifang.

After the reform and opening up in 1978, Ji Jiacai and Ji Huifang gradually got in touch again, but Ji Huifang's family still couldn't come back.

After the family had a lively New Year's Eve dinner, Ji Yanli couldn't stay at home anymore. It was very close to the scientific research institute. Ji Yanli, who couldn't feel at ease, wrapped himself in his military coat and went out. He didn't think of looking for Shen Wandi. Just strolling around, I arrived in front of the scientific research institute.

As soon as they arrived, Ji Yanli arrived in front of Shen's house by familiar means. He didn't dare to go in, but stood under the big tree in front of Shen's house. Relying on his amazing memory, he thought for a moment. Then he accurately locked his gaze on the window of Shen Wandi's room.

The room was dark with no lights on. He must have been staying with his parents.

The sound of firecrackers crackled in the distance, and bursts of laughter came from the house. Ji Yanli carefully distinguished the sound of Shen Wan's flute, and just leaned against the tree, listening quietly.

The Shen family's New Year's Eve dinner is to sit around together after the New Year's Eve dinner, each doing their own business and chatting for a while. It doesn't necessarily have to stay up until 12 o'clock in the morning. When they feel sleepy, they go back to the house to sleep. However, Father Shen needs to wake up at 12 o'clock in the morning. When it's time to get up and set off firecrackers, it's a sign of bidding farewell to the old and welcoming the new.

Zheng Qiu was sitting on the sofa knitting a sweater for Shen Qingshan, while Shen Qingshan was nestled in a rocking chair, listening to the opera on the radio, swaying along with the babbling sounds.

Shen Wandi felt sleepy, so she got up and prepared to go back to the house to sleep. After washing, she returned to the bedroom and turned on the light. The moment the light came on, Ji Yanli's eyes also lit up, staring closely at the window.

Shen Wandi was sitting on the dressing table in front of the window and started skin care. It was a coincidence that the moment Shen Wandi stood up and closed the curtains, she glanced and saw a figure standing in front of the door from a distance, and she was startled. , there can't be a thief in the scientific research institute. Taking a closer look, it's Ji Yanli.

Fortunately, two red lanterns were hung in front of Shen's house, and candles were lit. Otherwise, Shen Wandi could not see Ji Yanli no matter how hard he looked.

Ji Yanli in front of the door didn't expect such a coincidence. Just like that, the two looked at each other quietly through the window for a while, then Shen Wandi got up and ran downstairs, wrapped up in her coat and was about to go out.

Zheng Qiu and Shen Qingshan were startled, "Wandi, where are you going so late?"

Shen Wandi said casually: "Something happened, don't worry, I'll be back soon.

" The moment the flute disappeared in front of the window, Ji Yanli's heart felt empty, and then even greater joy filled the air. He stood up and patted the dust that was not there at all, just like a young boy, waiting for his beloved girl. Come out and see yourself.

Ji Yanli admitted that he was nervous the moment the door opened.

Shen Wandi also admitted that she was happy when she opened the door and saw Ji Yanli.

Shen Wandi walked up to Ji Yanli with her hands behind her back, "Why are you here?"

Ji Yanli looked at her intently, "Do you want me to come?"

Shen Wandi said cautiously: "Obviously I asked you first. "

I wanted to see you, so I came."

After hearing this, Shen Wandi began to feel embarrassed, looking at the sky and the earth but not at Ji Yanli. Unexpectedly, Ji Yanli didn't let her go. He leaned into Shen Wandi's ear and asked, his voice low and hoarse: "Do you want me to come?"

Shen Wandi took a step back suddenly, blushing, "Who cares about you?" Are you coming?"

At this moment, Shen Wandi suddenly felt a cold feeling on his face. Shen Wandi looked up and saw that it was snowing: "Well... you... you should go home quickly. It's snowing. If it snows heavily, the road will be blocked. It's good to go."

"Okay, I listen to you, but I still want to ask one last question. What is the reason why Comrade Shen came out to see me at night? Is it because he came down for a walk out of curiosity, or..." Ji Yanli looked at Looking into Shen Wandi's eyes, he couldn't help but reached out and took Shen Wandi's hand, "Or...is this what you mean?"

Shen Wandi's face was red, whether from the cold or from embarrassment. She didn't break away from Ji Yanli's hand, but slowly twisted her wrist, intertwined their fingers, and nodded lightly.

The light snow was not heavy, but it gradually turned their heads white. Shen Wandi didn't know whether his decision was correct or not, but at this moment, Shen Wandi was happy.

Ji Yanli's heart was pounding, and he stared straight at Shen Wandi: "Then we agreed, we will never separate again." "Yes

, we will never separate again."

...

Shen Wandi returned home. , as soon as she entered the door, she saw Zheng Qiu looking at her teasingly, and Shen Qingshan looking unhappy. It turned out

that after Shen Wandi ran out in a hurry, Zheng Qiu was worried, so he and Shen Qingshan followed secretly. When I came out, I happened to bump into Shen Wandi and Ji Yanli staying together.

But Ji Yanli put all his energy on Shen Wandi and didn't even notice it at all.

Now that she was discovered, Shen Wandi had no intention of hiding it, and announced to her parents generously: "Mom and Dad, Ji Yanli and I are together."

Zheng Qiu smiled and said, "Okay, we know, hurry up, Wipe the snow off your body, don't catch a cold again."

...

The most important thing on the first day of the new year is to start paying New Year greetings. According to the custom of old Beijing, on the first day of the new year, the son-in-law must first visit his father-in-law and his mother-in-law, but Now I go to the second grade of junior high school.

In the early morning, some people may not have gone to bed yet, but already some families who were "in a hurry" started to set off firecrackers to welcome the God of Wealth. Those who slept almost fell asleep to the sound of firecrackers. As soon as one family finished setting off, another family started setting off firecrackers again. .

On the morning of the first grade of junior high school, children will not be lazy in bed. Because not only do you have new clothes to wear in the morning, but you also get red envelopes.

On this day, Shen Wandi also got up early and helped Zheng Qiu cook dumplings. After the dumplings were cooked, Shen Qingshan walked around the courtyard with a bowl of dumplings, muttering something in his mouth. , it's just that these are the Four Olds, they can't be exposed openly, they can only be done secretly.

After this matter was over, Shen Qingshan went to the yard to set off firecrackers.

After returning to the house after playing, Shen Wandi kowtowed to Zheng Qiu and Shen Qingshan to pay New Year greetings. Although Shen Wandi would be 20 after this new year, Zheng Qiu and Shen Qingshan still gave Shen Wandi New Year's money.

Shen Wandi accepted it happily. She knew without even looking that there were two big ones in one red envelope.

After dinner, Ji Yanli came to Shen Wandi to play. After coming out of Shen's house, the two walked side by side quietly. But from time to time, Ji Yanli would reach out and touch the back of Shen Wandi's hand, and Shen Wandi glanced at him. He glanced at Ji Yanli and simply shook his hand back when Ji Yanli encountered him again.

As soon as Ji Yanli's hand was held, he held it back tightly and intertwined his fingers. He was afraid that Shen Wan's flute would be cold, so he put his hand directly into his coat pocket.