Ghost Ship

I braid my hair, unused to the short length. My hoodie sleeves covering my past mistakes. I slowly place all my jewelry on, before leaving the bathroom.

"Morning Phe-" Dean cuts himself off seeing my hair. "You cut your hair?" He questions, confused. "Yeah, it was too long for my taste." I play it off, placing my pjs into my bag.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean is driving, Sam in the passenger seat and me in the backseat. There is a tense silence in the car, which Dean breaks. I sit fidgeting with my pen. "So, I've been waiting since Maple Springs. You got something to tell me?" Dean states. "It's not your birthday." We can both tell he's playing dumb. "No." Dean confirms. "...Happy purim?" Sam laughs, "Dude, I don't know. I have no idea what you're talking about-" Sam is cut off. "There's a bullet missing from the Colt. You want to tell me how that happened? I know it wasn't me. So unless it was Phenix or you were shooting some incredibly evil cans..." Sam cuts him off, "Dean.."

"You went after her, didn't you? The Crossroads Demon. After I told you not to." Dean hypotheses. "Yeah, well..." Sam is cut off by me. "You could have gotten yourself killed!" I worry. "I didn't." Sam remarks. "And you shot her." Dean states. "She was a smartass!" Sam exclaims. "So, what? Does that, does that mean I'm out of my deal?" Dean questions. "Don't you think I might have mentioned that little face, Dean?

"No. Someone else holds the contract." Sam's annoyed at his failure. "Who?" Dean inquires. "She wouldn't say." Sam sighs. "Well, we should find out who. Of course, our best lead would be the Crossroads Demon. Oh, wait a minute..." Sam cuts him off, "That's not funny." Sam remarks. "No, it's not! It was a stupid fucking risk, and you shouldn't have done it!" Dean yells. "I shouldn't have done it? You're my brother, Dean. And no matter what you do, I'm gonna try and save you. And I'm sure as hell not gonna apologize for it, all right." Sam tells Dean. Dean is silent. Sam shakes his head in exasperation.

Sam, Dean, and I are impersonating officers of the law to interview a witness. She is holding a framed photograph of the shower-drowning victim. The witness' name is Gertrude Case, an elegant and well groomed and approximately 70 year old woman. As the scene continues, she begins to flirt shamelessly with Sam. "But I don't understand. I already went over all this with the other detectives." Gert says. "Right, yes. But, see, we're with the Sheriff's Department, not the police department - different departments." Dean lies.

"So, Mrs. Case.." Sam starts. "Please." She looks at Sam intently, "Ms. Case." Gert smiles. "Okay. Um, Ms. Case, um... you were the one who found your niece, correct?" Sam asks. "I came home, she was in the shower." Gert explains. "Drowned?" Sam questions. "So the coroner says. Now, you tell me, how can someone drown in the shower?" Gert asks, upset.

"How would you describe Sheila's behavior in the days before her death? I mean, did she seem frightened? Maybe she said something out of the ordinary, or..." Sam asks. "Wait a minute. You're working with Alex, aren't you?" She asks suddenly. "Yep. Absolutely. That's" Dean laughs awkwardly. "Alex and us, we're like this." Dean symbols a chain.

"Why didn't you say so? Alex has been such a comfort. But I'm sorry. I thought the case was solved." Gert worries. "Uh... well, no. No, not yet." Sam says. "I see." Gert sighs.

"So, anyways, we were talking about your niece." Sam reminds. "Well, yes. Sheila mentioned something quite strange before she died. She said she saw a boat." Gert explains. "A boat?" Dean questions. "Yes. One minute it was there, then it was gone. It just disappeared before her eyes. You think it could be a... good ship? Alex thinks it could be a ghost ship." She is addressing all her comments to Sam, staring at him intently. "Well, um... Could be." Sam is thrown off by her intense regard. 'Well. You let me know there's anything else I can do for you." She traces a finger slowly along Sam's hand; Sam looks uncomfortable. Dean clears his throat, smirking broadly. I stand awkwardly to the side. "Anything at all."