Ch. 2- I Miss You

Narrator's POV

As Emily drove home that night, all she could think about was Alison. She knew it wasn't healthy but she couldn't help it, love just doesn't go away overnight even if it has been 3 years. When Emily got to her apartment she didn't realize until she was at her door that Sara never made it to the party.

"Sara?" she called out hoping that she would receive a response but when she didn't get one, she automatically thought the worse. It wasn't her fault though. Being tormented for years would have anyone on edge. She opened Sara's door and found her asleep on her bed, book still in her hands. "Hey, wake up", Emily whispered to the sleeping girl.

The short haired blonde jumped up but then relaxed when she seen who woke her from her slumber. "Em. How was the party?" Sara asked, genuinely concerned. Emily didn't really feel like going over the whole story so she just said, "It..it was nice. Would've been better if you actually showed up." She wasn't mad, just a little disappointed.

"I'm so sorry. I honestly was studying and then I just fell asleep", Sara answered. "You could have at least let me know that you were feeling tired so I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't show up. You basically stood me up", Emily only half-joked.

Sara didn't realize what she was saying until she said it, "Would you have really cared?"

Confused, Emily opened her mouth to say something but nothing came out. Sara answered for her, "You probably wouldn't have. I do believe that you wanted me to have fun but I honestly don't think you would actually notice. I look at my phone and there's no missed calls or texts from you. That shows me that yea you were maybe a little sad over the fact that I didn't show up...but it didn't stop you from partying."

Emily looked shocked and wasn't sure where all of this was coming from but spoke anyway, "That's not how it happened. I was a little distracted with my friends, I'll admit that but I just thought that you'd show up later like you said."

The blonde scoffed, "Don't bullshit me Emily. You say you were distracted right? Well what were you talking about with your friends that had you soooo distracted where you couldn't have even sent me a simple text to see if I was alright?"

As of now, Emily knew where this was coming from. This had always been an issue when they were together. They had only dated for a short period of time and they both knew it was because of Emily's feelings for Ali. Sara knew that her heart wasn't there and it was her fault for not seeing that sooner so she could have seen the heartbreak coming.

Emily didn't know what to say. She didn't want to hurt the girl's feelings so she lied, "We were um you know just talking about our plans for college in a few years."

Sara nodded her head and walked to the door before saying, "Oh. Well I'm gonna go take a shower. Oh and Emily, I have been lied to a lot my whole life and it didn't really affect me in any way but...it hurts when it's coming from someone you thought cared."

The door wasn't slammed shut but closed lightly and that's how Emily knew that Sara wasn't angry at all. Just hurt. She waited about 15 minutes until Sara was done in the shower and when she came in with only a towel on, she knew it was her cue to leave. "I wanna talk. After you're done. Ok?" Emily demanded more than asked. Sara only nodded before closing her bedroom door.

When Sara was done she sat down on the living room couch next to Emily who started to talk rigtb away, "My friends and I weren't talking about college plans."

"Yea I know. That was kind of the point to my little speech about being lied to", Sara interrupted with arms crossed.

Why doesn't anyone just know how to wait until I'm done, Emily thought to herself. "J-Just let me finish. We weren't talking about college, we were talking about Alison. I honestly didn't know why you got so upset when you were the one who told me to confront Hanna about everything. But now I know why. As soon as I got there, I grabbed Hanna and we talked. And then Aria and Spence came and we continued talking. We talked about Ali from the minute I got there, all the way until I left. Alison comes up a lot...doesn't she?"