Ch.15- On The Hunt

Emily's POV

After Alison told me she loved me I watched her walk upstairs to her room. I wasn't upset with her, I couldn't be. Then why didn't I tell her I loved her back? Maybe it's because I don't, at least not anymore? Or maybe I'm just learning to trust her again? I don't know.

  But I knew one thing for sure which was that I care about Alison more than I've ever cared about anyone. She needed to know that.

  The next morning I slowly walked to her room down the hall and knocked. "Ali?", I called out but there was no answer.

  I knocked again and pushed the door open to find an empty bed. There was no sign that she slept in it. I could tell because the bed was how I left it weeks ago.

  Instead of jumping the gun, I took out my phone and dialed her number. No answer. So I dialed again. And again, no answer.

  Panic began to set in and I grabbed my car keys and ran out the door. I drove down to the Brew, somewhere I knew she always went when feeling stressed.

  "Hey Em", I heard from behind me. I turned around and saw Hanna.

  I sighed in relief that she was here, "Hey. Have you seen Ali?"

  "No, we left her with you", Hanna replied in confusion.

  "So she hasn't called or texted you or the girls?"

  Hanna shook her head, "No not that I know of. Is everything ok?"

  I ran my hand through my hair in frustration, "I don't know."

  "What do you mean, what's going on?" Hanna asked worriedly.

"I went to her room this morning and she wasn't there. The bed hasn't been slept in, it's like there was no trace of her being there. I called her over and over again but she didn't pick up."

  Hanna shook her head, "Em, slow down. She probably just needed some space after everything that happened last night. Don't worry", She said reassuring me.

  I smiled a little, "You're right. I'm sorry."

  She rubbed my arm in support and said, "Don't be. After everything that's happened to all of us, it's ok to assume the worst sometimes. It's the only thing we know how to do."

  I smiled but on the inside I was still terrified. It wasn't like Ali to just disappear without something being wrong.

  "Isn't that your old roommate?" Hanna asked pointing over to the couch where Sara Harvey sat.

  "Yea. It is. I'll be back", I said walking toward her.

  She looked up from her book and smiled, "Emily. Long time no see."

  "Yeah. What are you doing here?" I asked already having a bad feeling in my gut.

"Free country Em" She replied with a devious smirk.

I rolled my eyes, "No, I mean why are you back. You left. Why not stay gone?"

"You really don't like me do you?" She asked with feigning hurt.

"No I don't" I told her honestly. At first she actually looked hurt but it faded just as quickly as it came.

She sipped her tea and said, "You seem to like kissing me though."

"Sara that was a while ago. I'm with someone now."

"Alison right?" The blonde asked, blue eyes piercing into my soul. They were pretty but they weren't the exact blue eyes I wanted to see.