Chapter 23

I feel another touch on my head, I hear a soft sound of something falling to the floor. I bend down, carefully so as not to lose my balance and fall from the chair, and pick up the crumpled ball of paper.

When I return to my starting position, I come across a guy trying to hide behind a book. I notice how he's laughing.

I wait and when he decides to try and look around the book, putting his face in a good position, I throw the ball.

Unfortunately, and as I already mentioned, I'm horrible when it comes to any kind of sport, including throwing balls. So, as you may be thinking, the ball didn't hit him in the face. Not even close.

Like a boyfri.... Wait! We're not official yet... because I didn't want to... I'm starting to believe that I should have just said yes when he asked me to. It's what I wanted! Sometimes I can be very stupid (Sofia would say "not just sometimes").

Getting back to the point, like the fantastic friend he is, Seungmin bursts out laughing, while alternately pointing at the ball, which is a few meters away from us, and me.

Dumbass! Laughing at my misfortune. He will see! Don't be careful, no!

-You really are a child – I tell him, while he aims at the ball, which he just picked up, to hit me with it again.

The ball hits my forehead, causing me to close my eyes. When I open them again, I see Bea approaching our table with our orders.

- So, Theresa, have you and Anna already sent your application? – she asks me.

Now is not the best time, besties!

- No. We agreed to do it together tomorrow.

When I look at Seungmin I come across a confused boy. Please don't ask anything! Please!

- Application? For what?

I don't think I like your curiosity. I don't want to tell the truth. It wasn't supposed to go out like this.

- Hmmm... it's for something... volunteering! Exactly! It's for a volunteer thing – really smooth, Theresa. Nothing suspicious. You didn't even seem nervous or anything.

- Volunteering? For what?

For what? I don't know! I just invented it! Think, Theresa, what could you do? Something plausible. Wait! I remember getting an email from school about volunteering at a kennel next week!

- In a kennel!

- It sounds cool! Do you know when it is? Maybe I could also participate if I have time. I love dogs!

What? If he comes, I'll really have to sign up! And I'm going to have to encourage Anna, too. Why do I do this to myself!

- Hmmm... Theresa? – I turn to Bea – I wanted to tell you something. Can you come with me to the back?

And without waiting for my answer, she walks towards the kitchen. I follow her and, when I enter, she is already looking at me with a questioning look.

- Why didn't you tell him the truth? Volunteering at a kennel?

- I haven't told you yet that I was thinking about going to Frankfurt.

- Why? He should've been one of the first people to know. You just started dating, he should know you won't be here for six months!

- I know. But besides being afraid of his reaction, I also don't want to say anything to him until I'm not sure if I will go.

- Still, it's best to tell him as soon as possible. The longer you put this off, the worse it will be. Either way, if you join the program, he will be super happy for you, for sure. Obviously, he'll be sad that he won't be able to see you for a while, but we will all do.