Chapter 19: In the Shadows of Battle

The phrase "savor the blood of a virgin maiden" lingered in Eijin's mind, causing his heart to race. The question arose: could Elise be the virgin maiden Victor referred to? This thought troubled Eijin, and he felt a strong urge to rescue her if she was indeed in danger.

As Victor walked towards the room provided by the governor, Eijin discreetly followed, making sure to maintain a safe distance to avoid raising any suspicion. He cleverly carried the wines with him, using them as a cover to appear inconspicuous. Eijin's main objective was to confirm his suspicion and verify if Elise was indeed inside the room.

When Victor reached the door and opened it, Eijin seized the opportunity to get closer and relied on his heightened sense of smell. His heart raced with anticipation, with his enhanced sense of smell, he confirmed his suspicion. Elise was indeed in the room. This realization triggered a sense of urgency in Eijin, compelling him to take action.

With a quick thinking, Eijin spoke up, trying to divert Victor's attention. "Sir Victor, would you like another bottle of wine?" he asked, hoping to distract him momentarily.

Victor's brows furrowed, and he responded sarcastically, "Why would I want that when I can have the purest blood?" He then shut the door firmly, leaving Eijin in a state of hesitation. He knew that if he were to attack now, it might jeopardize the mission of Shadowstrike. However, he also understood that waiting too long could put Elise in grave danger.

Eijin weighed his options carefully, knowing that the decision he made could have significant consequences.

Meanwhile, Kristine's group quietly made their way through the secret underground passage, they found themselves in a vast tunnel. It became apparent that the tunnel was not only designed for humans to walk through but also for vehicles to pass. Calista, with her human-werewolf physiology, could see clearly in the dark, while Kristine and Rinoah relied on their nano-tech battle suits to enhance their vision.

As they approached the end of the tunnel, Kristine signaled for them to halt. Calista and Rinoah obediently followed her orders. Their eyes widened as they caught sight of a group of supernatural beings gathered around a table. Three individuals with an authoritative aura sat at the table. There was a large female Orc, adorned in armor-like clothing, with a massive axe resting on the back of her chair. On the opposite side of the table was a male demon, even larger than the female Orc, his muscles bulging in his sleeveless shirt. Next to him sat a beautiful woman wearing a black cloak adorned with red markings and symbols.

The sight of these powerful beings intrigued and captivated Kristine's group, leaving them pondering the nature of their gathering and the significance of their presence. Could they be the Secret passage guards?

"Kristine opened a link of communication using their nano-tech battle suits.

"We need to pass them," she started.

"There isn't any other passage except that hallway," Calista answered.

"Yes, but there will be no way we can get past without them noticing us," added Rinoah.

"I know," answered Kristine. "That's why we should take them out first," she added.

Finally, some action!" Calista's eyes filled with excitement.

"Wait, we need a plan," said Rinoah.

"I say we take them by surprise," answered Calista.

"Calm down," Kristine replied irritably. "First, we need to analyze the situation. There were twelve individuals who appeared normal, but I think they may be vampires or werewolves, or perhaps mixed on the same team," she added.

"Not to mention those three. I believe they were the bosses. Their imposing aura gives it away," Rinoah said.

"And they were the only ones holding gambling cards," Calista confidently stated.

"You're right, Miss Genius," Kristine sarcastically said, then lightly hit Calista on the head.

"What was that for?" Calista said, annoyed.

Rinoah burst into laughter inside her battle suit, thanks to its advanced nano-tech soundproof ability.

"Since you're eager to get your butt kicked... you'll attack first," said Kristine. "With only you in their sight, I bet only the minions will attack you."

"Brilliant plan, fearless leader," Calista, who loves to fight, said with a brimming smile.

"Then we'll try to take on the two big ones," added Kristine. "I think that girl in the cloak has a support role."

Just as Calista was about to leap, a dagger flew towards her. Thanks to her werewolf instincts, she swiftly blocked it with her own daggers.

Calista's surprise was mirrored by Kristine and Rinoah, leaving them speechless. All their careful planning seemed to be in vain. It appeared that they had been discovered.

However, they weren't the only ones taken aback. The other group surrounding the table was also surprised by Deborah's vigilance, the woman in the cloak. The dagger that threw belongs to none other than her.

The atmosphere suddenly turned tense as three people around the table transformed into ferocious werewolves while the remaining drew their swords and daggers.

"Now we know how many werewolves there are," Calista remarked.

"Hey, I thought this was supposed to be a secret passage," the large female orc exclaimed.

Without uttering a word, their minions sprang into action, while the three seated individuals either underestimated their enemy or observed their fighting style.

With no other choice, Calista decided to stick to the plan. She and Rinoah understood Kristine's intentions. They needed to assess the capabilities of their enemies. Moreover, Kristine is right, their adversaries had attacked using only their minions as the vanguards.

Kristine reached for her katana, a low buzzing sound resonating through the air as the sharp edge of the blade glowed in a fiery red hue. Calista's dagger emitted a similar red glow, matching the energy of Kristine's weapon. Meanwhile, Rinoah swiftly retrieved a concealed stick from behind her lower back. Within seconds, the nanobots within the stick sprang into action, reshaping and transforming it into a trident-like weapon. Its tip and sharp edges also emanated a vibrant red glow, adding to the formidable arsenal of the group.

Calista swiftly attacked, focusing on engaging the enemy minions head-on. They fought with agility and precision, utilizing their unique skills and weapons to gain the upper hand. Meanwhile, Kristine closely observed the enemy leaders, noting their reactions.

With their enhanced weapons at the ready, Kristine, and Rinoah stood prepared to support Calista in case her life gets in danger.

As the battle continues, it became clear that the enemy leaders underestimated their opponent but strategically observing their fighting techniques. The tension in the room escalated, and the clash between the two groups intensified.

As the battle intensified, Calista showcased her impressive skills by swiftly eliminating three vampires and inflicting wounds on two werewolves. The nanobots within her weapon had the unique ability to suppress the fast healing powers of anyone they came into contact with, giving Calista an advantage against her supernatural foes.

"Thanks to the adjustments Michelle made in our battle suits," Calista said, catching her breath while striking a cute pose. "Even with their use of enhancing drugs, I'm able to match their strength and speed," she exclaimed, expressing her satisfaction with the enhanced capabilities of their suits.

The group prepared for another round, but this time, Calista found herself momentarily overwhelmed as daggers came flying towards her. Caught off guard, she had no choice but to block the attacks. Seizing the opportunity, the remaining vampires and werewolves managed to land a critical blow on her. Fortunately, thanks to the advanced nano-tech battle suits, the wound was not deep, and Calista's werewolf physiology swiftly healed the injury.

With no other option, Kristine joined the battle, issuing a decisive command to Rinoah and Calista, "Kill them now!" Their synchronized movements and teamwork were crucial in this critical moment. Rinoah and Calista understood Kristine's plan and wasted no time in executing it.

As Kristine lunged towards Deborah, her primary objective was to prevent her from throwing any more daggers. However, her strike was abruptly halted when a large axe intercepted her katana. To her surprise, a swift punch aimed at her face followed closely. Fortunately, Kristine's agility and acrobatic skills allowed her to evade the attack gracefully, ensuring her safety.