Chapter 20: The True Enemy

Meanwhile, Rinoah and Calista worked in tandem, their movements coordinated and harmonized. They swiftly eliminated the remaining werewolves and vampires, their attacks strategically timed to support each other. When Rinoah blocked, Calista seized the opportunity to launch her own offensive, and vice versa.

Calista and Rinoah swiftly dispatched the remaining vampires and werewolves, leaving only the enemy leaders standing.

As the team regrouped, Calista took charge, declaring, "I'll take on the one with the daggers!" Without waiting for Kristine's response, she leaped towards Deborah, ready to engage in a fierce battle.

"Hey, wait!" Kristine shouted at Calista, wanting to face the woman with daggers. However, Calista was already engaging her.

With no other choice, Kristine followed suit, but her movement was interrupted by the female Orc's commanding voice, "Face Arigail's axe!" The massive weapon sliced through the air, aiming for Kristine. With impressive agility, she contorted her body like a limbo dancer, narrowly evading the attack.

Meanwhile, the large male demon, Rurug, charged towards Rinoah with incredible speed. Growling, he declared, "Me... Rurug... destroy you." Rinoah noticed that Rurug did not carry any weapons, relying solely on his brute strength. Being the most honorable member of the team, Rinoah decided to withdraw her weapon. The nanobots within her weapon shrank, transforming the trident back into a short stick. Confident in her strength and her mermaid-human hybrid physiology, which allowed her to withstand the pressure at the bottom of the deepest sea, she engaged in hand-to-hand combat with the formidable demon.

The battle continued to escalate, with each member of the team facing their respective opponents.

As the intense battle raged on underground, Eijin made a bold decision. He decided to barge into the room where Elise was being held.

Eijin reverted back to his original form, causing his waiter's clothes to transform back into his battle suit. The additional contours on his face and the color of his skin returned to their original state, revealing his true appearance before his symbiotes fully covered his body, except for his Korean-like hairstyle. His battle suit featured a combination of dark and silver linings, with a touch of red.

Aware of the need to remain discreet, Eijin devised a plan to swiftly eliminate Victor, the leader of the Nocturne Coven, and save Elise without attracting too much attention. If the governor's entire army were to discover his mission, it could pose a significant problem. With the layout of the room fresh in his mind, Eijin teleported himself inside.

He materialized on top of the grand ceiling lights, the sight before him causing his heart to race. Victor had a firm grip on Elise's neck and waist, while Elise fought for her life.

"No! Don't touch me!" shouted Elise in disgust. "Someone, help me!" she shouted again out of desperation.

Eijin realized that had he hesitated any longer outside the room, he might have been too late to rescue her.

Without wasting another moment, Eijin teleported once again, appearing directly in front of Victor. The events unfolded rapidly. Eijin carefully held Elise's shoulder to support her, preventing any impact on her, before delivering a devastating blow to Victor's face. The force of the impact flattened Victor's nose, leaving him momentarily stunned. The quickness of the scene caught him off guard, leaving him unable to react in time. As a result, he was sent flying, crashing into the solid walls before falling to the ground. The impact left a visible crack in the wall.

Eijin cradled Elise in his arms, her fear still palpable as she processed the harrowing scenes she had just experienced. The struggle for her life had left a deep shock in her mind. Elise raised her head, her eyes searching for the person who had saved her. For a moment, she was taken aback, unsure if the one before her was a human or another supernatural being. As she locked eyes with Eijin, she noticed his silver and black eyes transform into a calming blue and white. This reassured Elise, realizing that she was looking into the eyes of a human. Eijin spoke in his normal voice, "I am here to rescue you."

Upon hearing Eijin's words, Elise felt an overwhelming sense of relief. Tears streamed down her face as she tightly embraced him, grateful for her newfound safety.

"Please stay in the corner," Eijin instructed, the concern evident in his voice. "I need to deal with that monster," he added, referring to Victor. Elise nodded, making her way to the corner of the large room provided by the Governor for Victor. Eijin then pulled a large cabinet to cover Elise, ensuring her protection.

With Elise safely secured, Eijin turned his attention back to Victor. However, to his surprise, he noticed that Victor was starting to regain consciousness and struggling to stand. Eijin wasted no time, seizing the opportunity to swiftly eliminate Victor.

A blade weapon materialized in Eijin's right arm, its tip and half of the sharp edge radiating a bluish light. With determination, he leaped towards Victor, intending to deliver the final blow to his heart. However, as he neared his target, a sudden, blinding light appeared between them. Eijin's symbiote swiftly adjusted his vision, allowing him to perceive the scene clearly. Despite the unexpected obstacle, Eijin was determined to press on. As the tip of his bladed weapon touched the light, a cracking sound resonated, revealing the presence of the mysterious Warlock standing between them. Eijin withdrew his weapon, and the air seemed to fracture, causing astral-like, solid, transparent glass-like pieces to fall. However, as soon as they touched the ground, they vanished.

Eijin was taken aback by the Warlock's intervention and how they seemed to be aware of what was happening to Victor. A faint smile emerged on Victor's face as he spoke, "Credit to the Demon King. He sent someone capable."

It was at this moment that Eijin realized that the bulky demons were not the true bodyguards sent to protect Victor. It was, in fact, the Warlock who held that role.