Chapter 24: Life Matters

Meanwhile, in the governor's office, Governor Mateo Jade was shocked by the booming sound emanating from the second floor. Within moments, armed guards rushed into his office to report on the situation.

"Governor, we are under attack," one of the guards reported, his breathing heavy.

"Who dares!?" the governor shouted in fury. "How many armies are we talking about?" he demanded to know.

"Only one man, Governor," the armed guard replied, his voice trembling with fear. He didn't want to incur the governor's wrath.

"Stupid mother... fu€#er, we were attacked by a single man?" the governor scoffed sarcastically, as if feigning fainting. "What is the use of me paying you a bunch of morons? How did that man get inside my fortress?"

"The man seems to be powerful, Sir Victor is currently fighting the intruders," the armed guard explained.

Governor Jade's eyes narrowed, and the two bulky demons who were supposed to be Victor's bodyguards suddenly sprang into action. They knew they needed to protect their master. If anything were to happen to Victor, they were certain they wouldn't escape the wrath of their true master, the Demon King Azrael.

"Take this," Zephyra said in an alluring tone, then threw two tablets of enhancing drugs to the demons.

The two bulky demons caught the tablets and swallowed them. Immediately, they felt the effects, their muscles bulging even more, tearing the sleeves of their suits.

They hurriedly ran out of the room.

"Get our men and kill that bastard," the governor ordered the armed guard.

The armed guard saluted before leaving to carry out the governor's command.

Meanwhile, Mika and Michelle were on the verge of reaching the rooftop of the mansion. Thanks to Michelle's sharp intellect, she had managed to hack into the mansion's floor plan, ensuring a path with minimal guards.

As Mika prepared to forcefully open the exit door, it unexpectedly swung open from the outside, revealing both Mika and Michelle to the incoming guards.

"What the fu¢#!" exclaimed a demon guard in a suit. "Boss! It appears the intruders are escaping right into our path," he added, surprised by the turn of events.

Mika wasted no time. "I'll hold them off, Mich. Send the report to Selene now!" she declared, propelling herself towards the exit.

The standing guard was caught off guard, completely taken by surprise as Mika swiftly delivered a flying kick to his face. He was sent flying several meters before landing on the ground, unconscious.

Mika and Michelle stepped outside, and Michelle agilely leaped to the highest part of the mansion, an elevated tank. She began establishing a communication link to their headquarters through her nanotech battle suit.

Just then, five more guards emerged on the scene.

"I thought there was only one intruder?" questioned a human figure dressed in a black suit, the leader of the guard group.

"That's what they said on the radio com, boss," replied a demon guard also dressed in black.

"Get that cutie!" their boss commanded. "She's no ordinary threat, knocking Julius out."

All four guards simultaneously initiated their attack, displaying precise and coordinated movements. They clearly had experience working as a team. However, Mika effortlessly evaded all their coordinated attacks, showcasing her exceptional agility.

"She's no ordinary, indeed," the leader of the guards exclaimed. "Hurry! Take your drugs!"

Just as the four guards were about to retrieve drugs from their pockets, Mika sprang into action.

"I've had enough of that stuff. I've seen what it can do!" Mika declared, delivering swift and powerful punches. One by one, all four guards fell to the ground, rendered unconscious.

"Mika knocked off all the guards in an instant. However, she hadn't prevented the leader from swallowing the drugs. As she turned her gaze towards the leader, it was already too late. The guards seemed to be stretching, cracking his neck and fingers.

Mika and the leader sprang into action almost instantly after their gaze collided. The leader initiated the first attack, leaping into the air, focusing all his energy in his knuckles. Mika's gaze turned murderously ready to counter with her scythe when suddenly the leader of the guards crashed directly under her feet. The floor cracked as the body of the leader of the guards flattened, unconscious.

It was Michelle who attacked the leader of the guards.

"We don't have much time," she stated, her gaze as cold as ice. "I've already sent the report to Selene. It's just a matter of time before they arrive," she explained.

"Let's go. Kristine and the others might need our help," Mika exclaimed.

Without a word, they ran back to the stairs, heading back inside."

Meanwhile, Kristine, Calista, and Rinoah arrived at the lowest part of the mansion's underground. They noticed all the captives inside the cells, and a sense of pity washed over them as they saw the captives in such a pitiful state.

"We need to save them!" Calista pleaded to Kristine, tears welling up in her eyes.

Kristine nodded. "Rinoah, I need both of you to guide them outside through the secret passage," she instructed.

"But you might need us," Calista protested.

"No. Our priority is to save all the captives," Kristine's tone was firm. "I've been trying to contact Michelle, but I can't get through. Something is jamming our signal," she explained.

"Um... are you with the other two girls?" one of the captives interjected.

Kristine and the others looked at the human girl in surprise.

"Who are the two girls?" Kristine asked, hoping it was Mika and Michelle the girl was referring to.

"A cute red-haired girl and a smart blue-haired girl," the girl said.

"Yes! Where are they?" Calista interjected.

"They left," the girl replied, pointing to the bent prison bars. "They escaped through here."

"It was indeed them," Kristine sighed with relief.

"Before they left, they promised to come back and save us all," the girl said, tears streaming down her face. The other captives joined in, their emotions pouring out.

"Come with us," Calista exclaimed. "We'll guide you all out of here," she added, her determination fueled by Mika's promise to save all the girls. Calista looked at Rinoah, who nodded in agreement, and then turned her gaze to Kristine.

"Be careful. Once we secure the safety of all the girls, we'll come back for you," Rinoah said to Kristine, their fists bumping in solidarity.