Chapter 12- Up to the Top

As we near the surface Levi lets go of my hand leaving an empty feeling inside me, "Can we keep our relationship a secret for now, especially from Hanji?" I give him a questionable look, asking why and who's Hanji, but I do understand a little where he's coming from, so I nod my head in agreement. "It's just for a bit until they get used to you okay," he says as he plants a small kiss on my cheek, I look up at him and smile as a give an even bigger and cheerier nod of agreement. The light from the surface blinds me and I stumble up the last few steps, Levi's hand steading me as I almost fall onto the brick road. The surface was beautiful and my bright (E/C) eyes widened taking in everything surrounding me. The buildings, while they had the same color and structure as the underground ones, they were well kept and clean, looking practically brand new. The faded red brick road was barely cracked, with blue orchids peeping out of them at random. Lifting my hand up to shield my eyes, I looked up, the sun rounded and bright. Everything was amazing up on the surface and I couldn't help but smile. My weird appearance, both expression wise all the way to my dirty skin, hair, and clothes, caused me to get weird glances from the surrounding dozen of citizens, although I found it strange that their only was about a dozen people out. Other than that the streets seemed deserted, weird it's so beautiful today, I wonder why. Levi snaps me out of my thoughts with an, "Oi, brat!" and I look over to him smiling. He rolls his eyes and walks away, I rush to catch up to him and we are soon walking side by side together.

He leads me to a horse stable, and as I gaze around at the variety of horses he leads one out to the walkway. Levi's horse is pure black from its mane to its hooves, except for a strip of white that runs down his forehead and snout, the horse reminds me of the beauty of night. Levi saddles up and mounts his horse, extending a hand towards me. I take it, his long finger wrapping around my smaller ones for mere moments, and he hauls me up into the saddle along with him, I shift to sit comfortably and wrap my arms around his waist peeking over his shoulder at him. "Where are we goin', Levi?" I asked.

Levi rolled his shoulders and straitened his back before snapping the reins, causing the horse to begin trotting through the city. "We're going to my squad's hideout, it's a castle about 3 hours away from here." He said in a bored voice.

"Kay, but what am I supposed to do for THREE HOURS!" I exclaimed, this was going to be a long ride and I was hungry from not eating breakfast. Levi simply shrugged his shoulders and I gave an exaggerated sigh before laying my head onto his shoulder. I simply observed the cities landscape for a while before drifting off to sleep, listening to the pounding of hooves and Levi's steady breathes.