Chapter 1

"Dear, the others just pulled in, you should come greet them." I heard in my mother's tone. I looked up into the mirror I was sat in front of and saw my mother looking at me from my doorway. She was dressed as elegantly as always and I knew I got my sense of style from her.

"I'm almost ready." I said softly as I finished brushing out my hair.

I had several knots in my brown and blond hair which I had spent hours curling. I had just touched up my make up and was just finishing up as she had come in.

We had come home for the weekend because my family had an annual dinner party we attended for the Parkinson family. Draco was arranged to marry her from a very young age and they had been very close ever since. She was my best friend so I had no qualms about it. When they were told at 13 I remember being so excited because I got to be related to my best friend and Draco cared for her like she was made of glass.

To both of our families it was the perfect arrangement.

I was not quite as lucky. I resented who I was supposed to marry to the point I had questioned fleeing my parents and their less than savory allegiances just to be free. Pansy talked me out of that one but every now and again I questioned it because sometimes being alone or even dead was better than the thought of being his.

"I expect you to play nice dear." She said looking at me with eyes that told me she wasn't exactly suggesting.

"Don't I always?" I asked in a very dry and sarcastic tone.

"Corinna." She said harshly stepping into the room.

"I will play nice if he does." I said with a huff knowing she was asking a lot of me.

"He is a sweet boy. Your father and I-"

"Think he would be great for me yes I know you've told me." I said really not wanting to get the same speech she gave me everytime we were set to meet up.

"He was a little rough around the edges as a child, but he's grown up quite a bit." She said with a small smile.

"Yes mother, I know. You've told me, fathers told me, and Draco has pounded it into my head. I mean really even Pansy doesn't let up. It doesn't mean I have to like it." I said and I heard her heavy sigh.

"Theo and his family are an amazing family, just give him a chance. His mother says he fancies you quite a bit." She said and I know his mom was just as hopeful for us as my mother was.

"Mother we avoid each other like the plague at school." I said almost rolling my eyes knowing what she had said wasn't true.

"Play nice Cori, I mean it." She said knowing that she wasn't going to win this argument, not tonight.

"Him first." I said shaking my head knowing our animosity was not one sided.

"It's one evening dear, you look lovely." She said and I could hear her disappointment. "Come along soon."

She left my room leaving the door open and I stood from my vanity. I flattened out my dark red dress and gold strapped heels. I let out a huff and headed out into the halls and into the foyer where I could hear several others gathering. I came out and saw Draco with Pansy in hand and her dark black hair was pulled back into an updo to show off the dark purple dress she wore.

She ran from Draco's arms and he smiled as he watched her and her face lit with excitement as she looked over my dress. She looked gorgeous as well, but she was always a fan of dressing up while I usually didn't enjoy it at all. It was too much work for events I usually didn't care about.

"You look gorgeous!" She said in a quiet but high pitched voice.

"Thanks Pans, you look great too." I said in a softer more tired tone.