Chapter 6: Show and Tell

'Time for the grand finale.'

Smirking, Zeffre held out her left hand and conjured a bolt of starlight in the center of the group of Beowulf's. The creatures snarled and roared as they were lifted off the polished marble surface of the training room, their claws digging marks into the floor. As the creatures were lifted into the air, Zeffre dashed beneath the gravity well, her body swiftly becoming enveloped in a radiant light. Moments later, she was surrounded by a brilliant azure glow.

A wave of plasma exploded from her form, incinerating the Grimm instantly, leaving behind nothing but ash. The marble floor, once a polished white, was now cracked and bubbling from the intensity of the heat, charred a deep black. Standing at the epicenter of the destruction, Zeffre turned to her audience of two and, with a flourish, gave a dramatic bow. "Tada!"

'This had been fun,' she thought smiling as she took in the training room. All around her were the aftermath of her abilities. Scorch marks on the walls, shattered pillars on the floor, some melting frost. It had been entertaining at the very least.

Looking up at the observation balcony Professor Ozpin and Glynda were both watching her intently. She had been told that her initiation was to be done in private and had been asked to display her powers to give them a better sense of what she could do.

Leaping into the air, Zeffre used her boost pack to land on the balcony next to them, giving another dramatic bow. If she had to perform and exhibit her powers she might as well make it an entertaining show.

"So... How'd I do," she asked smiling.

Professor Ozpin was watching her intensely before he began to refer to his Scroll. "I assume that the last ability you just did was the one you call 'Supernova', correct?"

"Yup! I toned it down a bit because it felt a little unnecessary," she said, still a bit excited from the demonstration.

"And how do you feel," he asked as he glanced over at the mostly destroyed training room.

"Fine? As long as I pace myself it'll take me a while to run out of juice," she said before leaning on the railing. "It's funny really. Using my powers a lot makes me feel... tired, but not tired in a physical sense. It's deeper than that...," she said before shrugging. "I've never really found the right word for it."

Professor Ozpin leaned against his cane deep in thought for a moment before looking back at her.

"Zeffre... where do your powers come from," he asked, staring into her eyes.

'Here it is,' Zeffre thought, her smile becoming uncertain. She had been wondering when he would ask her that.

 "Uh... I mean, I could tell you," she began before scratching the back of her head and laughing, "but you'd never believe me." She truly hoped that he would just drop the issue.

"This isn't something that I can just accept without more information," he said, gesturing over at the destroyed room.

Zeffre gnawed on her bottom lip, unsure how to respond. Looking down for a moment deep in thought she considered what to say next.

"All people by nature desire to know...," she muttered, sounding as if she were quoting something. Suddenly, an idea passed through her head. With a flick of her wrist another Zeffre formed next to her from motes of white light, wearing the same black armor.

"Hey me. I'm trying to explain to Professor Ozpin and Glynda where my powers come from, and I need some help," Zeffre said, giving the other her a nervous smile before looking back at Professor Ozpin.

The other Zeffre just shrugged.

"I'm a Starborn from a different universe, and so is she."

Zeffre's head immediately snapped to her duplicate, eyes wide in shock. "You're just going to tell them?! What the hell!"