Flashback - Never

Sighing, Zeffre Lux practically melted into the living room couch, snuggling herself into her favorite corner surrounded by cushions, the soft worn fabric a comforting reminder of home. She had tried for weeks to find a similar couch for Wanderwell, but none of them had filled her with the same cozy warmth of home like her family's couch.

Closing her eyes Zeffre let out a quiet groan. Her entire body was still sore from her last trip to gather an Artifact with Barrett, but nothing a medpack, some bandages, and a trip to Reliant Medical couldn't fix. She really needed to watch out more carefully for grenades. Being a full-time explorer was surprisingly hard work, but still. It was nice to be home for a few days.

A hand from behind the couch ruffled Zeffre's hair. "So kiddo, how was dinner?"

Zeffre valiantly defended her hair from the invader, grinning as she looked up at her father. "It was amazing! Way better than fast-food, and that is a complement," she said, straightening her hair. "I am now a connoisseur of fast-food from across the Settled Systems, and your food is still the best."

"Well then Miss Lux, this son of a chief is deeply humbled by your gracious review," Dad said, smiling as he playfully bowed his head at her before walking around the couch, sitting next to her. "Grandad would be proud to hear that I've at least kept up in my culinary skills."

Letting go of her snuggle pillow Zeffre leaned over and hugged her dad. "He wouldn't be alone because I'm proud of you too."

Dad chuckled. "Isn't it my job to say that to you?" he asked hugging her back.

"Dunno, is that what they teach you in father school?"

"Hm... They might've mentioned it, but I can't quite remember," Dad said, stroking his chin in faux contemplation, "But I don't need a lesson to know that I am proud of you Zef."

Letting go Zeffre looked up at Dad, stroking her own chin. "Makes sense... I am pretty great."

Dad chuckled, reaching over and ruffling Zeffre's hair again. "And so humble."

"The humbliest. Er... Humblier... uh," Zeffre furrowed her brow. "Dad, what's the adjective of humble?"

"Humblest."

Zeffre snapped her fingers. "Right! Humblest," she said, nodding. She totally knew that.

Looking around Zeffre noticed someone important was missing. "Where's mom?"

"She went to CJ's to pick up some snacks for you," Dad told her as Zeffre went back to snuggling in her corner.

Zeffre nodded, resting her head on a cushion in her lap. She had about a million different things she needed to do ranging from stopping at New Homestead to get some of those sweet, sweet White Dwarf 3015 engines for Wanderwell to helping Walter with his company's new starship model, but those things could wait. Zeffre was on vacation and unless there was an emergency she was content with simply staying at home living off her favorite couch watching TV with her family.

"Zeffre?" Dad said, his tone instantly getting her attention. She got the feeling this was going to be a father-daughter talk.

"Yeah Dad, what's up?" she said, removing her cushion blanket to sit up straighter on the couch. This sounded important.

"Tell me, are you doing well? And none of that 'I'm fine, Dad' stuff. Really answer: how are you?"

Zeffre looked down for a moment, considering his question. "Honestly? I've never been better," she said, looking back up to grin at her father. "Being in Constellation, exploring the Settled Systems, fighting pirates and Spacers, like, it's been great! I'm also making way more money than I used to working for Argos, which is a nice plus."

Zeffre's dad smiled. "Good... That's good to hear. Knowing you're out there living your best life, doing something you truly love... I just wanted to say that your mother and I are so incredibly proud of you and that we love you so very much." He sighed. "It's just, well, it worries your mother that one day... you might take on more than you can deal with. Is it worth it? All that risk and danger?"

Looking down again Zeffre really considered his question. She didn't like lying to her parents and she knew that no matter what they would be there for her. He deserved an honest answer.

"Honestly?" Zeffre began slowly, still thinking through her answer. "I have no idea. I guess I'll know at the end, but I like to think so. That I'm really making a difference."

"I get it," Dad said, reaching over to put a hand on Zeffre's shoulder. "When you're knee deep in it, it may be hard to see the big picture," he said, giving Zeffre a reassuring squeeze. "But my gut says you're making the galaxy a better place. I've got some years on you, and my guiding star's always been: find something you believe in and fight for it. For me, it's you and your mother. Every time big life decisions came up - that's what made it easy. What would be best for all of us? If you can strip away everything and answer that one question..." he shrugged. "Well, it helped me then and maybe it could help you too."

Zeffre smiled a small, gentle smile. A smile that not many people see. "Thank you Dad that... I think that could help." Her smile shifted into a smirk. "Especially when I meet the occasional unhappy group of Spacers."

Dad chuckled, pulling his hand back. "Well, it's what I'm here for. Now, enough concern from your old man, what do you say to making this a family movie night?" he asked, grinning at Zeffre's blank look.

"Dad I'm 21."

Her dad smirked. "What? Is my daughter too old now to share a cozy movie night with her father and mother eating popcorn?"

In a burst of motion Zeffre rushed over to hug Dad who let out a silent 'oomph'. "Never."

----

Author's Note:

Originally this was going to be the start of chapter 24, but structurally I think it'll work better standalone. It might make sense after I finish chapter 24.

Anyway, Like, Comment, Subscribe, Ring the bell, sign up for the mailing list, etc. etc. (and as always thank you for reading).