Chapter 10: Metamorphosis

"Alright Blue, you're up," Roman said before lighting his cigar.

Taking a few puffs Roman looked around the vacant city street. There had been a few stragglers on the road earlier, but they were smart enough to clear out once they saw him. Roman smirked. 'My reputation precedes me,' he thought, a small sense of pride at the recognition of his work.

His small entourage scanned the street around him.

Roman held his men to a high standard when it came to their attire. Each and every one of them had to have their suites tailor made and properly fitted if they wanted to be associated with him. Or, well, almost all of them. That little rule didn't extend to prospective members.

Saffre, wearing that strange helmet, was staring at him and gave a silent nod, her helmet's visor going from transparent to reflective before she turned towards the store and vanished. Roman raised an eyebrow as he took a drag on his cigar. 'Invisibility? Useful.' He didn't trust her; the number of people he actually trusted in this world could fit on one hand after all, but he was incredibly curious about why she was here, and what she could do.

Looking across the street at the target, 'Vale Dust Emporium', Roman rolled his eyes. 'Tacky as hell name.'

Tapping off some ashes Roman saw some movement near the store. It had rained yesterday, and puddles were still everywhere. Watching intently, he saw movement again; one of the puddles by the door had rippled.

She was waiting by the front door for something. 'Patience Roman, patience.'

While he waited Roman spotted something else that required his immediate and undivided attention.

"You," he said, pointing Melodic Cudgel at the disappointment, "come here."

One of the men watching the street jumped, looking around as if he wasn't pointing directly at him. "Me?"

Without saying a word Roman raised the reticle on Melodic Cudgel, ready to fire. The man's face went pale before he rushed over. Roman could see that his eyes were wide even under his sunglasses.

Lowering his cane Roman walked up to the terrified man and adjusted his hat. "If you are going to be associated with me you are going to be presentable," he said, firmly straightening the hat before taking a step back to look him over again. "Also, do a better job at ironing your shirt. You look like a child."

The man gave a stiff nod, walking quickly back to his post. Roman puffed his cigar and smirked at how the man stood a little straighter.

"Boss?"

Without looking at whoever said that Roman glanced across the street. Someone had just walked out from the store, and he noticed that the puddle by the door rippled.

Watching through the store's window Roman saw the man behind the counter jerk suddenly to the side, as if something hit him on the chest, and crumple to the floor.

Saffre decloaked by the door to the shop, dimming the windows to make them opaque before turning the sign from 'open' to 'closed'. She then stepped outside and waved over to them.

Roman dropped his mostly spent cigar onto the concrete, snuffing it out with his cane. "Let's go."

----

Tonight had been quite productive.

Seven stores all handled the same way.

In fact, the night had been so successful that Roman had to keep calling in others to pick up the dust just so they could keep moving. And best of all? Completely quiet. Each owner had been knocked out, with Saffre assuring him that they'd be out for at least five hours. When he had asked how she had simply said 'neurostrikes' as if the word meant anything to him.