Chapter Seventy One

River

"You're taking her to Paris?" Emily asked softly.

"It has nothing to do with you at all," I cut her off before she could continue. "You really have to stop."

She knew I was tired of this. I was only here because Kol asked me. He wasn't able to handle her.

This was the real Emily I was talking to. She was the most real whenever it was her and I after I helped put her back together.

"Am I aloud to ask about her?"

"Are you going to insult her?"

She looked at me for a moment, before shaking her head. "You and I don't work. You and her do, in some fucked up way."

Maybe she was right. We worked. Really, really well together.

"You're done with all your bullshit?"

"Yes. I promise. Because despite what you think, I know exactly how you feel about her. I always thought I knew what you looked like when you were in love."

"You get one question."

"Is she as bad as my sister and her friends made her out to be?"

She wouldn't look at me, staring at her pink comforter.

"She deserves more than what she's been given and gotten out of life. Whatever your sister has told you- told us, is wrong."

"I'll leave her alone when I get back."

I looked at her, my jaw tightening slightly. "I'll hold up my end as long as you hold up yours."

"Okay."

"Do you want me to take you to the hospital?"

"No, my head is killing me right now."

"Get some sleep. I'll order you food."

"Thank you, River."

"This was the last time, Em." I said softly. "I mean it. I won't tell her everything, but I will have to tell her enough."

"You don't owe me that. Especially after what I've done."

"If you ever harm her again, I'm done playing nice."

Emily and I had a complicated history to say the least. Even our friendship before dating was complicated.

When Ivy died, Emily and I felt like we were the only ones who understood each other.

We went through that together. We went through Emera getting sick. We went through her other Grandmother passing before Emera came into her life. We have been there for each other from the very beginning.

I ran my hand through my hair as I leaned before against the seat, tossing my phone to the passenger seat.

Lyra was most definitely ignoring me. Not that I blamed her.

I pulled something pretty shitty on her. After I had told her the day was ours tomorrow too.

But I was also pissed she was choosing to ignore me. She was going to do whatever she could to make sure I knew she was upset too.

Talking to her would be easy, she may not say anything. But I know she would be listening.

When I texted Kol multiple times, he had yet to answer too. I was worried about them being alone, but Lyra wouldn't have any problem punching him in the face if she felt she needed to.

She would also have no problem punching me in the face either.

My phone finally lit up beside me.

I quickly grabbed it only to find that it was Kol.