Chapter Seventy Two

River

By the time we had gotten to Paris, Lyra had woken up and had been extremely excited about landing. Or rather the fact that her stomach would ease once we were back on the ground.

"Do you want to go to the hotel right away?" I asked once we were in the back of the car.

"Mhm." She nodded sleepily. "I don't want to see much until I'm more awake. Do they have coffee here? I need coffee."

"I'll get you coffee." I moved her hair away from her face. "We're in Paris together for an entire week."

"Alone for an entire week."

"My favourite thing."

"Which is?"

"Having you alone. Teddy has been friends with you for much longer, and you live with Sasha. Everyone has had more time with you than I have."

"You're sweet." She moved her head, looking up at me. "Very sweet."

"Debatable."

"Among?"

"You and everyone else." I laughed. "You should eat when we get to the hotel. You didn't before we left, or on the plane."

"I was sleeping."

"You're still eating when we get up there."
I knew Lyra had shitty sleeping problems
already, I was well aware my girl didn't sleep, and didn't sleep well when she did. I made sure to book an extra day for her to recover before we start at Disney or go looking at tourist attractions."

She was going to be tied if she didn't relax, not to mention grumpy. I know she doesn't mean it, but she's not nice when she's tired. She snaps often, and everything annoys her, even when she's trying her hardest.

Lyra and I explored the hotel after we settled in. She was obsessed with the view from our balcony.

The hotel was older, and resembled many of the older buildings. From our balcony, we were able to see the tower.

When I went to grab her something, I came back unable to find her, until I noticed the balcony door opened just slightly.

When I opened it, she had a blanket wrapped around her as she leaned over the railing, looking out at the tower.

She looked so beautiful, just taking in everything when she thinks she's all alone.

I leaned against the door, crossing my arms over my chest.

I stood there for only a few minutes, taking in her beauty. The way her skin glowed under the warm sun, or the way her eyes sparkled here.

She was so fucking stunning, and she seemed to forget it too often. Even though I make a point to tell her every single day, at least thirty times a day.

"What are you thinking about, Baby?"

She turned her head slightly to look back at me. Her eyes were red and slightly swollen. "How beautiful this is." I made my way to her, wrapping my arms around her from behind. "How beautiful our view is."

"Why are you crying?" I asked softly.

"I'm here without her." Her whisper broke and the tears weren't being held back any longer.

There was more. There was more she wasn't saying.

She didn't break down like this. Not like this.
I turned her around, tilting up her chin. "I think she'd be happy you're here. Even if it's not with her."

Her tears welled up before she pressed her forehead against my chest. "Can we talk?"

My hand moved up and down her back gently, "You never have to ask."