Chapter 5: Worried Mother

"Nereus?" Doris called out as she was searching the halls of the underwater golden palace for her husband.
"Yes darling?" He replied. "Do you know where Nerine is? I haven't seen her in a few days." She said with a worried look in her eyes. "Oh you know her! Always getting into trouble." Said Nereus, chuckling. "Did she go to the surface again?" Doris asked. "Yeah probably." Nereus shrugged. "Is there something you're not telling me?" The queen questioned as she narrowed her bright blue eyes. "No!" Nereus said laughing nervously. "You're such a bad liar! Where is she?!" Doris yelled as she crossed her arms, angrily. "I kicked her out." The king admitted. "You what?!" Doris said as her blood started the boil. "Look I just said that she had to choose between the world up there or the world down here. She made her choice. She'll pay the price." Nereus explained. "Ugh I can't believe you!" Doris scolded. "You should've stopped her!" She yelled. "I tried." Nereus said. "Well you should've tried harder! You should've- I don't know, follow her to the surface!" Doris scoffed. "Whatever!" Nereus said, rolling his eyes. "Fine! I'll get her myself." Doris said and she swam quickly and angrily to the surface. She made her way across the hot sand and to the Dark Forest. She didn't quite know where her daughter could possibly be but she decided to look in the dark forest first. It was gloomy and cold. That place was definitely not meant for a sea nymph. Doris shivered. She shook to dry herself off a little. "That's better." She muttered to herself. She made her way through the trees. There was a light breeze with no monster or any sort of creature in sight. It was extremely foggy. Doris could barely see anything but yet she continued on. "Nerine! Nerine!" The queen cried out. No one answered. Doris almost tripped over a branch but she caught heralded before she did and continued to her daughters name in hope that she could hear her. "Nerine!" Still no answer. The ground was damp and muddy. Then Doris started to smell smoke in the air. "What could that be?" She thought to herself. Then she heard giant footsteps and felt the ground beneath her shake. "An evil dragon." the queen mumbled to herself in fear. A part of her wanted to run back into the ocean where she would be safe but she knew that her daughter could possibly be out there somewhere and she didn't want to leave her behind. "Nerine!! Nerine! If you hear me come here now! You're not safe! There's a dragon!" Even though Doris was terrified she ran toward the sound and smell of the dragon to see if Nerine was by it. She ran deeper and deeper into the dark woods. "Nerine!" She continued to cry out. Doris stopped and realized the dragon was flying right toward her. The fearsome beast blew fire at the ground. The flames engulfed the forest. Somehow Doris was ok but she was surrounded by fire and had nowhere to go. There was no water near. Doris cried out for help and continued yelling for her daughter. Doris looked back at the sky and the last thing she saw was the winged creature fly toward her with her mouth wide open and sharp teeth crushing the poor sea nymph. The dragon didn't bother eating Doris so she just left the queen lying lifeless on the ground. Nerine had heard her mothers cry for help and was on her way toward her with her friends following behind. Tears formed in Nerine's eyes as she realized her mother was dead. Nerine ran over to her, sobbing. "No!!!!!!!" Nerine cried out as she held her mother close to her. "Mother no! Mother, don't leave me." Nerine continued to sob. Wraith felt rage and sought out revenge. He flew after the winged monster. "Wraith!" Nerine cried out trying to stop him but he didn't hear her. "Oh dear. I'm so sorry about your mother!" Said Milo holding back his tears. He sat down next to Nerine and her mom and so did Lau. "I'm sorry as well. Maybe we can make her a nice grave. With lots of flowers." Lau said softly, wiping the tears from his eyes. Milo rubbed his hand against Lau's back to comfort him and grabbed Nerine's shoulder to also comfort the poor girl who just lost her mother. The three of them then looked up as the dragon flew fast toward them. They all ran. More flames were destroying the dark forest. "Well at least now it's more colorful and bright!" Milo said, trying to lighten the mood. "Read the room sunshine." Lau said, rolling his eyes. Milo smiled awkwardly and they continued running away. Each flame nearly killed them. Nerine tried her hardest to use her hydrokinesis to put out as much fire as she could. Wraith used all of his dark powers to try and defeat the dragon but it wasn't working. Lau began to used his wind powers but they were not very helpful but then Lau remembered he is able to create weapons out of air so he created a sword and shield for himself. But that wasn't that much help either. Milo decided to do something that he had little experience in and that could possibly be very dangerous. He would have to get a little closer to the dragon. Milo turned into his Kitsune form and flew toward the dragon. "Milo what are you doing!" Lau cried out. "Don't worry hun!" He yelled back. Lau nervously but his lips and watched Milo. Nerine watched him as well. He got close enough to the dragon and started to use hypnosis. Surprisingly it was actually working and Milo used all his might to try and hypnotize the beast into leaving them alone. He managed to do so and the dragon began to fly away but it drained so much energy out of Milo he began to fall fast towards the ground. Lau quickly used his levitation powers to stop Milo from falling just as he almost hit the ground. Milo transformed back into a human and ran and hugged Lau as tight as he could. Lau hugged him tightly as well. "Ok your suffocating me. Milo stops" Lau said in a muffled voice. Milo let go and chuckled. Milo messed up Lau's hair with his hand and smiled. He walked over to Nerine who was now back near her mothers body. Lau followed and Wraith came over to her as well. Nerine sobbed and the group huddled around her to try and bring comfort to the sweet girl. They spent a while trying to put out the forest fire but eventually they did. Most of the forest was ok but huge parts of it were now nothing but ash. Including Wraith's special spot. He frowned looking at all his favorite trees that were now burnt to a crisp. "Sorry Bud." Nerine said to him. "Oh it's ok, it's just trees." He said still looking sad but honestly you couldn't really tell since he didn't really have a face exactly. The four creatures found a nice new spot near a beautiful pound and laid Doris down in the grass. They had a funeral ceremony for her and everyone sobbed uncontrollably. Then they burried her and marked where her grave was and covered it in flowers. Nerine realized she should have her father and sisters but she was afraid to. She blamed herself for what had happened to her mother but she knew she had to tell them so she headed back to the ocean.