Chapter 13: The Truth

The next day arrived and Nerine had moved out of the castle and was now sleeping back in the Dark Forest.
"Hi Nerine, how are you? Wraith asked as he walked with Nerine and Norman into the dark forest to his spot. "I'm ok." Said Nerine, still feeling bad about what happened with Mylah. "I know you really liked it at the castle but I prefer it here." Wraith admitted. "Wraith, I like it here too." Nerine assured him. "Are you sure?" He asked. "Yes." Nerine nodded. Norman didn't really seem to like it. He kept glancing over his shoulder hoping monsters weren't following him. "Ok we're here." Said Wraith as they arrived at the spot. "It's very... interesting." Said Norman, looking weirded out. The air was cold and foggy as usual. Nerine rolled her eyes at his rude comment. Norman set down his bags on some grass that looked kind of dry. Nerine laid down in the pond and closed her eyes. She was completely underwater except for a bit of her face. Norman sat down on a very uncomfortable log and sighed. Wraith looked around awkwardly not really knowing what to do. He didn't really like Norman that much. Wraith them flew away without saying a word. Nerine didn't notice since she was too busy relaxing in the freezing cold water. Norman didn't notice either, he was too lost in his thoughts, staring at the ground. He then remembered that he had forgotten something very important at the castle. "Oh no." He thought to himself. He really did not want to go back there. Mylah would not be happy. "Nerine." Norman said loudly, hoping she could hear him from under the water. "Yea?" Nerine said, rising from the pond. "I have to go, I'll be right back." Said Norman as he began walking toward the castle. "Where are you going?" Nerine asked. "I forgot something at the castle." Norman explained. "Oh. Good luck with that." Nerine said, hoping Mylah wouldn't be too upset. "Thanks." Norman muttered. When he arrived at the castle he stood nervously in front of the doors. After a few moments he got the courage to knock on the door. The first time he knocked no one came to the door. He knocked again and finally Mylah opened the doors. "What are you doing here?" Mylah asked, tiredly. "I left something here accidentally. Do you mind if I grab it really quickly? I'll be super fast." Norman begged. "Yes I do mind. Leave!" Mylah demanded. Norman looked down at his feet awkwardly unsure what to say but he knew he was not going to leave without the thing he came there for. "Please, it's really important." Norman implored. "No!" Mylah snapped. Mylah began shutting the door but Norman put his hand on it to stop it. "Please Mylah. Could you just grab it for me please." "Fine, what is it?" Mylah finally agreed. "A picture." Norman muttered, looking down at the floor sadly. "Of what?" Mylah asked. "My son, Harry." He replied, with tears in his eyes. "Oh. I'm sorry." Mylah whispered, feeling bad that Norman might never see his son again. "It's ok it was my fault I'll never see him again. That picture is all I have left of him." Norman sighed and wiped tears from his eyes. "It's not actually." Mylah admitted. "What do you mean?" Norman questioned. "The dragon didn't know what he was doing but... Max made his dragon go to your kingdom on purpose. He knew the dragon wouldn't want to hurt people on purpose so he had to trick him. He knew he was too big to be in your kingdom so he somehow got his dragon to go over there without the dragon realizing and therefore he accidentally stepped on your castle." Mylah explained as tears rolled down her face. "What?..... Why would he do that?" Norman asked, feeling confused. "I'm not sure exactly but he said he didn't like humans. Not sure why." Mylah explained. "Did you know this whole time?" Norman scoffed as he started to grow angry. "I-" "And you didn't tell me!?" Norman yelled, cutting her off. "I'm sorry. I Know I should've told you but I thought it would make things worse." Mylah explained as she put her hand on Norman's shoulder. Norman pulled away and gave Mylah a disappointed and angry look. "I can't believe this. Why would you lie Mylah! And make me look like the bad guy?!! Are you kidding me! And why are you even angry at me about this? I told you I didn't know that I didn't love you like this I really thought I did! I'm sorry but honestly now I don't even care! You're awful!l Norman yelled. He felt his face get hot and he wanted to scream. Instead he pushed Mylah gently out of the way and ran past and up the stairs to her bedroom. He grabbed the picture of his son off the shelf and ran downstairs and quickly rushed out the door. Mylah watched him, feeling regretful. Norman ran all the way back to the forest with tears continuing to fall down his face. Nerine was reading a book while sitting underneath a tree. She stopped as she saw Norman running toward her. "Norman, are you ok?" Nerine asked, with a concerned look on her face. She noticed he was crying and looked very upset. Norman sat down next to Nerine and explained to her everything that happened and everything Mylah told him. "What? That's terrible! I can't believe she didn't tell you!" Nerine said in disbelief. "Yeah." Norman sighed. They sat in silence for a while, taking in what had happened. Norman looked down, sadly at the picture of his son in his hand. He folded it carefully and placed it in the pocket of his pants. Nerine wanted to comfort Norman, but she wasn't sure how. She knew that there was nothing she could say that would make the pain go away, but she also knew that sometimes all a person needed was someone to be there for them. She put her arm around Norman's shoulder and squeezed gently. "I'm here for you, Norman," she said softly. "I'll always be here for you." Norman looked at her with gratitude in his eyes. He felt a sense of warmth wash over him, knowing that he had someone who cared about him. He leaned his head against Nerine's shoulder and took a deep breath. For the first time in weeks, he felt like everything was going to be okay. "Thank you, Nerine," he said, smiling through his tears. "Thank you for being my friend." Nerine smiled back at him, feeling happy that she could be there for him. Together, they sat in the silence of the forest, watching the world go by, lost in their own thoughts. The sun began to set, painting the sky with shades of pink and orange. The leaves rustled in the wind, and the birds chirped their evening song. Norman and Nerine sat there, side-by-side, feeling the warm glow of the sunset wash over them. And they knew that, no matter what the future held, they had each other, and that was all that mattered.