Chapter 6: Maybe He was Right, Maybe Not

Chapter 6: Maybe He Was Right, Maybe Not
Nerine was starting to think her father was right. She regretted not staying with him. It was her fault her mother had died. She died searching for her because she stupidly ran away. Nerine felt that she was selfish. She swam quickly to the castle and knocked on the golden doors. They opened slowly and Nerine entered. Nerine held back tears and her hands were shaky. As soon as she walked in she saw her father, Nereus sitting on his throne. "What are you doing here?" He asked, narrowing his eyes. "Have you changed your mind?" He asked. "Yes father I'm so sorry you were right it's far too dangerous up there I'm so sorry that I left!" Nerine cried out. "Oh darling it's ok. You don't have to apologize. Perhaps I should apologize. I shouldn't have made you choose between your family and your dream to see the world. I trust that you will make the right choices. You can live wherever you'd like and do whatever you would want to do!" Her father said. He was finally starting to sound like his old self again. Kind, loving and gentle. "I have to admit some bad news." Nerine said sobbing. "Nerine? What happened!?" The king said, looking very worried. "It's mother. She was killed by a dragon." Nerine explained and she continued to sob. There was a pause and then the king cried out, "What?! This can't be! This is all your fault Nerine! You stupid selfish girl! Leave here no and never I mean never ever come back and if I ever see you again I will hurt you more than a dragon ever could!" Nerine's mouth was wide open in shock about what her father had just said. Her father was acting insane. "LEAVE!!!!" The king demanded. So she did as her father said and left the castle immediately. It was stranger how fast her father switched up on her like that. She really thought that it would be different but no. Her father was getting worse. But maybe he was right, she thought to herself. Maybe it was all her fault. She swam up to the surface and ran back to her group of friends. "He was so upset and never wants to see me again." Nerine said with a sad look on her face. They all gave her a group hug to comfort her. "I'm so sorry Nerine but me and Lau really have to go now but we'll be back tomorrow and we can hang out if you'd like. Unless of course you need some time to yourself." Said Milo. "I do need some time to myself, maybe give me a couple weeks or months. I don't know but please do come back then. I'd love to hang out with you guys. And if you guys need anything I'll be here with Wraith." Nerine said. "Ok goodbye Nerine. Goodbye Wraith." Milo said. "Bye everyone." Lau said softly while waving goodbye. "Bye." Nerine and Wraith said in unison. Milo grabbed Lau's hand and dragged him along. The next couple months Nerine spent a lot of time alone with nature and with Wraith. They sought comfort in each other and grew to be closer friends. Sometimes Wraith was overprotective but not in the cruel way her father was. Wraith was gentle and understanding unlike Nereus. "I kind of want to explore the shops in the kingdom. I heard there was an amazing cafe and also a bookstore. Oo I also heard there was an antique store!!" Nerine said excitedly. Nerine was doing a lot better. She was sad that her family hater her and her mother was gone but she had to accept what had happened and learn to make the best out of it. She hadn't seen Milo and Lau in a while but had planned to the next day. For now Nerine just wanted to spend a day with Wraith exploring parts of the kingdom that were much more warm and friendly than the dark forest. They made their way to the cafe and ordered lattes and cookies. "This is the most delicious thing ever." Nerine said with her mouth full of cookies. "Uhm I'm not sure how I'm supposed to eat this." Wraith said, holding his cookie. "Oh well would you like me to?" Nerine asked. Wraith handed her his cookie and coffee and laughed. Nerine smiled. "Well I enjoyed the smell." Said Wraith jokingly. "You have a nose?" Nerine laughed. There were a few people in the cafe who were staring at Wraith. I guess it was unusual for his kind of creature to be hanging out in a place that wasn't dark and gloomy. They got up and left and began making their way to the library. It was the biggest library either of them had ever seen. It was so enormous they were certain every single book in the world was there. "Wow." They both said in unison as they walked into the magical book kingdom. "I know right?" Said the librarian who was a woman with glasses and a giant horn on her head. She was a unicorn. Well sort of. She was a mix between a human and a unicorn. "Welcome. My name is Miss Rainbow." The woman said. That name did suit her well because he had rainbow hair and a rainbow outfit. Her horn on her head was gold and sparkly and it shimmered in the sunlight that shined through the skylight in the ceiling of the library. "Wow you are a very beautiful looking creature. I love your hair!" Nerine told Miss Rainbow. "Why, thank you dear. I adore your hair as well. It's so majestic. Are you a sea nymph?" She asked. "Oh yes I am." Nerine said. "Wow, then you just live in that giant golden palace that's deep within the sea!" Miss Rainbow exclaimed. "Well I used to." Nerine mumbled quietly. "What was that dear?" Miss Rainbow asked. "Oh uhm yeah I do live there. It's great." Nerine lied. "Wow, that's very cool." Miss Rainbow said. They spent hours at the library looking at all the books and checked out tons that seemed interesting. They then checked out an antique shop but since they had money they could buy anything but the kind lady who owned the shop gave them some free old clothes that she needed to get rid of. The clothes smelled a little bit, they looked very nice. Nerine planned on washing them and giving them away to people in need. Nerine only wore clothes that were made out of magical sea things and well Wraith just wore rags. They made their journey back home to the dark forest and began to read their books.