Chapter 10: I Miss You

Nerine woke up extra early the next morning, determined to make things right with her father. She knew it was going to be a difficult conversation, but it was something she had to do. She got ready to return to her underwater home and said goodbye to her friends who wished her good luck. As she made her way back to her home, Nerine's mind was going a mile a minute. She didn't know how her father would react or what he would say. But she knew that she needed to apologize and take responsibility for her actions. When she arrived at her underwater palace, Nereus was waiting for her. He looked relieved to see her, but also concerned. "Nerine, what are you doing here?" he asked. "I came to talk to you, Father. I've been thinking about what you said, and... I want to apologize. I know I've been difficult and stubborn, but... It's not your fault. It's mine. I should have listened to you and respected your wishes. And I'm sorry for causing you so much stress and worry." Nereus looked surprised, but also touched. "Nerine... You don't have to apologize. It's not your fault. I'm the one who should be apologizing. I was so caught up in trying to protect you that I forgot to listen to you and let you make your own choices. I'm sorry, my daughter. I love you so much, and I want you to be happy. Wherever that may be. I shouldn't have blamed you for your mother's death. It was a cruel thing to do. I'm so sorry. It's not your fault. If anything, her death was my fault," the king said, wiping his tears away. Nerine felt tears welling up in her eyes. She couldn't believe her father was being so understanding and forgiving. It was just like him to be this way before he had changed. "Thank you, Father. That means a lot to me. I need to follow my path and make my own choices, but... I also want to stay connected to my family and my past. Can we find a middle ground? Can I still visit and stay in touch, even if I live above the water?" Nereus smiled, his eyes softening. "Of course, my dear. We are family, after all. We may have our differences and disagreements, but we will always have love and respect for each other. I want you to be happy and fulfilled, and I will support you in whatever you choose to do." Nerine felt a weight lifting off her chest. She realized that her family would always be there for her, no matter what from now on. She hugged her father tightly, feeling grateful and relieved. "I love you, Father. I missed you." "I love you too, my daughter. And I missed you too. Let's make more time for each other and keep in touch, okay?" Nerine nodded, feeling hopeful and happy. She knew that things wouldn't be perfect or easy, but she was willing to work on her relationships and find a balance between her past and her future. She was ready to move forward, with strength and courage, knowing that she had a family who cared for her and supported her. As she swam back up to the surface, she ran back to the castle to inform her friends of the good news. They were thrilled for her and congratulated her on making peace with her father. Over the next few weeks, Nerine got to work on mending her relationships with her family. She spent time with her siblings, even Amphitrite, catching up on everything that had happened while she was away. They talked, laughed and cried together, and Nerine felt closer to them than ever before. Especially with Amphitrite who had also apologized to her. Despite the challenges and hardships she had faced, Nerine knew that she had grown into a stronger and wiser sea nymph. She had learned to take responsibility for her actions, communicate better with her loved ones, and follow her dreams. As she looked out at the vast ocean, Nerine felt a sense of peace and contentment wash over her. She knew that there would be more challenges ahead, but she was ready to face them with courage and determination. She smiled, feeling grateful for everything that had led her to this moment. She spent most of her time above the water with her friends but did try to visit her family as much as possible. One morning she realized that she had almost forgotten about Norman's problem. Norman still hadn't told Mylah the truth. "Norman, can I talk to you in the library?" Nerine asked him. "Sure." Norman said, sighing sadly because he knew exactly what Nerine wanted to talk about. "It's been weeks and you still haven't told her the truth?!" Nerine said, disappointedly as they made their way to the back of the library in the castle. "I'm sorry Nerine, it's just so hard. Please don't make me do this." Norman pleaded. "I know that Norm but like I said a million times you have to tell her the truth." Nerine begged. "I know I will tomorrow, I swear. Ok?" Norman promised. "Pinkie swear?" Nerine asked, holding up her pinkie. "Yes." Norman said as he wrapped his pinkie around Nerine's finger which was green and slimy and Norman gagged. Nerine looked at him, offended. "Sorry it's just slimy and like a frog. I don't like frogs!" Norman apologized. Nerine rolled her eyes and said, "Well I love frogs! Especially the ones in Mystia which are far better than the normal frogs because they have magical powers. Some of them you can kiss and they turn into princes or princesses!" "Well frogs are cool and adorable but I don't like touching them." Said Norman. "Well lucky for you I'm NOT a frog!" Nerine said as she put her hands on her hips. "Well you know you-" "Don't finish that sentence unless you want me to punch you in the face." Nerine said, cutting him off. Norman laughed awkwardly and ran off. Nerine rolled her eyes and smiled softly. She wasn't really offended, she just thought it was funny.