Chapter 9: Amphitrite

The next day Nerine goes to her mothers grave again. As she sat there she heard some rusting in the trees. Nerine turned around and to her surprise her father was standing in front of her. Surprisingly he didn't look angry but he looked worried. "What are you doing here?" Nerine said, feeling angry about what her father had said to her. "I don't mean to bother you, I just wanted to know if you've seen Amphitrite? She's missing." Her father asked in a soft voice that Nerine hadn't heard much of in a while but he used to use that voice all of the time before the human attack so it was still familiar sounding. "No, I haven't. Sorry." Nerine said, still feeling angry. "It's beautiful. The grave that you made for her. I'm sorry I haven't visited it. And I'm sorry about- I'm just sorry." Said her father, sadly. "Thanks, it's ok. My friends helped me make it." Said Nerine in a calmer tone now. "Oh you made some friends, that's nice." Nereus said, smiling awkwardly. "I'm going to go and try and find your sister. Let me know if you see her." He said. Nerine nodded. A couple hours later Nerine was still sitting at the grave alone. "Nerine." She heard a familiar voice call out to her. Nerine turned around and saw her sister Amphitrite standing there. She looked so similar to their mother, Doris. "Father's looking for you Amphitrite. Why are you here? To see mother?" Nerine asked. "No, I'm here to see you." Her sister said, putting her hands on her hips. "You are terrible! How could you just leave your family like this! And for what to live in a dumb spooky cold forest that is disgusting!" Amphitrite yelled, sounding very irritated. "Hey! I'm actually living in the castle with Queen Mylah." Nerine said, braggingly. "Wait what?" Amphitrite blurted out in disbelief. "Yes and she lets me do what I want and go where I want unlike father!" Nerine said, standing up and crossing her arm. "He is only doing what he feels is best for you Neri! He cares for you and loves you! We all do." "Well if he really loved me Amphitrite he would let me do what I want and not make me choose!" "You are such a brat! And you are selfish!" Amphitrite yelled, getting more and more angry. "Whatever I hate-" Nerine yelled, getting cut off by Wraith who just got there. "Oh sorry I didn't mean to interrupt." Said Wraith awkwardly. "What is that?!" Asked Amphitrite looking at the dark creature. "His name is Wraith." Nerine said. "What is he your boyfriend or something! Is that why you like it up here so much?" Amphitrite asked. "No! He's my friend and  my protector and I have other friends too and I'm up here because I like it ok? I don't know if you've noticed but there isn't much to do underwater stuck in a golden palace all day!" Nerine said, rolling her eyes. Amphitrite took a deep breath to calm herself down. "You're not safe up here Nerine. Not even with him protecting you. Up here's not made for people like us." Amphitrite explained. "I understand why you think that way but please sister I'm happy up here." Nerine said softly walking closer to her. "Fine it's your funeral." Amphitrite said and turned away and left never looking back. Wraith put his arm around Nerine to comfort her. "Maybe she's right, Wraith. But does my dad even want me down there?" Nerine said. "Well I hope her does. I want you to be happy and live where you want but I also want you to be able to come up here too. I can't go in the water unfortunately." Said Wraight. Nerine sighed and smiled. She felt exhausted and unsure about what to do so they decided to head back to the castle. Wraith and Nerine walked into the castle and saw Mylah, Norman, Milo, and Lau eating dinner. There was a plate for Nerine in between Lah and Norman. Mylah sat on the other side of Norman and Milo sat on the other side of Lau. They were having spaghetti for dinner. Wraith sat across from Nerine but he didn't have any food. Wraiths did eat but not normal food, something a lot... weirder that he doesn't like to discuss. Nerine told everyone about what happened in the forest and how she saw her sister and father. Mylah listened intently, her expression filled with concern. "Nerine, your family loves you very much. Your father is just trying to protect you in his own way," she said softly. Norman nodded in agreement, reaching over to pat Nerine's hand reassuringly. Nerine sighed, feeling a mix of emotions swirling inside her. She realized her family cared, but she also couldn't deny that she was happy there with her new family and friends. She loved and cared for her friends so much. Later that night she went to a room in the library that was inside the castle. When she went inside she saw Norman pacing around, looking nervous. "Norm, are you ok?" Nerine asked him. He looked up, startled not realizing anyone had come in. "Oh yes I'm fine Nerine." He said, looking down at the ground. "You haven't talked to her yet, have you?" Nerine said, looking disappointed. "I just don't want to hurt her." He said sobbing. "You have to tell her the truth. I know it's scary but you have to be brave." Nerine said, encouragingly. "But what do I even say? What if she hates me forever?" He asked. "I don't know but you have to tell her Norm. You have to." Nerine said, grabbing both of Norman's hands. Norm sighed. "I know you're right, Nerine. It's just hard. I don't want to lose her," he said, his voice breaking. "I'll do my best to find the right words and tell her tomorrow." Nerine smiled at him, happy that he was taking her advice. She hugged him before leaving him alone in the room, hoping that he would gain the courage to tell Mylah the truth. As Nerine made her way back to her room, she couldn't help but think about her own situation with her family. She knew she had to talk to her father and try to find a middle ground. She couldn't keep living in fear of her father's disapproval and she couldn't keep running away. Maybe it was time to face her fears and trust that her family truly cared for her. Nerine made a decision that night to go back home and have a heart-to-heart with her father. She knew it wouldn't be easy, but it was the right thing to do. As she drifted off to sleep, she felt a sense of determination wash over her. She was ready to face the challenges ahead with strength and courage.