Chapter 12: The Breakdown and Breakup

Chapter 12: The Breakdown and The Breakup
Norman planned on telling Mylah the truth about how he felt but he was unsure how to do so. He again found himself pacing around the library. "You're gonna do it today right?" Nerine asked as she entered the room. "Yes Nerine I am." Norman replied, getting tired of Nerine constantly bothering him about it. "Ok well good luck." Nerine wished him as she gripped a necklace she was wearing that she said was lucky. Norman didn't know if he really believed that. Nerine then gave Norman a big hug which surprised him. "Oh sorry, slimy sea creature." Nerine apologized as she stepped back and pointed at herself. Norman half smiled and pulled Nerine in for another hug. They had only hugged a couple times before and Norman didn't really like hugs that much but he was alright with it. Norman then began making his way upstairs to his and Mylah's bedroom. Mylah was standing in front of a mirror and brushing her long wavy hair. "Hello dear." She said as Norman entered. "Hi." Norman said, nervously. "What's wrong?" Mylah asked because she had heard the worry in his voice. She turned and looked at him with curious eyes. "Oh nothing I just- have to tell you something." Norman admitted as he looked down at the floor. "What is it?" Mylah asked, softly. She set her hairbrush down and walked gracefully toward the king. "I have to tell you that- I think we should just be friends." Norman managed to mumble out as tears were forming in his eyes. "What? What are you talking about Norman?" Mylah asked with a puzzled look on her face. "Don't get me wrong I care for you a lot Mylah I just don't think that I'm... in love with you. I don't know if I ever was. I was just desperate and sad and lonely. I had just lost my wife and you lost your husband and I well- I killed your husband so I wanted to make it up to you-" Norman admitted, speaking very fast. "Woah slow down. What? You mean this was all a lie?" Mylah scoffed. She looked like she wanted to punch him in the face. "No I do love you just not like that! And I thought I did really but I was wrong! I'm sorry I didn't mean to hurt you-" "Don't- say- anything- more." Mylah said, cutting him off. "But-" "GET OUT!" Mylah yelled furiously which startled Norman. Norman looked at her with sad eyes and shamefully packed up all of his stuff and ran out the castle. He didn't have too much stuff because most of it was in the castle in Normia but he had bought some things. Norman sobbed and cursed at himself as he ran away down the road. He didn't have any idea where he was going but he just kept running. Before he had ran out the castle doors Nerine has spotted him and had been following him. She followed him all the way down the road until there was a dead end. Nerine finally caught up to him. Norman looked exhausted and was breathing heavily. He dropped all of his bags on the road and sat on the ground. Nerine walked up to him with a sad look on her face. "Well my guess is it didn't go very well?" Nerine said as she sat next to him on the uncomfortable ground. "You think?" Norman mumbled sarcastically. Nerine but her hand on Norman's shoulder, trying to comfort him. "It was the right thing to do. You should be honest to the ones you love." Said Nerine, softly. "I know." Norman sighed. There was silence for a moment until Nerine suggested they should go back to the castle and talk to Mylah. Norman tried to protest but Nerine didn't care so she dragged him back. "Mylah!" Nerine called out as they entered the castle. Mylah heard Nerine and began walking down the stairs toward her. She then saw Norman and rolled her eyes. Norman set his bags down and started to walk toward Mylah. "What do you want?" Mylah asked, angrily. "Mylah I think you two should talk this out. I know you're angry but you know he didn't mean to hurt you-" Nerine said but then was cut off by Mylah. "How long have you known about this Nerine?" "Well- I" "How long have you known?!!" Mylah said even louder. "A couple weeks..." Nerine said quietly. Mylah scoffed. "Look I get your trying to help Nerine but I said what I said I don't want to see him ever again so hey your bags and leave!" Nerine continued speaking, "But Mylah-" "Nerine this has nothing to do with you! Stay out of my love life. Stay out of my business! Don't you two remember that I am the queen and he may be the king but I can't take that away just as fast as I gave it to him and I already have! So leave." Mylah demanded. Nerine had never seen Mylah like this before. She started to feel bad and also regretted getting in Mylah's business even though she just wanted to help. Nerine didn't say anything else and ran out of the castle. Norman was mad at Mylah for being so mean to Nerine. He looked at her with disapproval. "What?" Said Mylah, still looking angry. "Look, I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you Mylah. Just don't take your anger out on Nerine. She's just a kid." Norman said, frowning. Mylah sighed. "I know she just doesn't know how to respect boundaries!" Mylah explained. "Yeah but- nevermind I'm just gonna go." Norman mumbled as he stared at the ground. Norman turned around and started to leave. Mylah watched, still feeling angry but her face softened a little bit and she started to feel bad. Norman grabbed his bags and walked out of the castle, feeling defeated. He wandered aimlessly through the streets, not sure where to go or what to do next. He looked around for Nerine but she was nowhere to be found. He felt a wave of loneliness wash over him as he realized he had lost not only Mylah but also Nerine, the one friend who had always had his back. As he walked, lost in his thoughts, he heard a familiar voice calling out to him. He turned and saw Nerine running towards him, a look of concern on her face. She caught up to him and grabbed his hand, pulling him to a nearby bench. "I'm sorry, Norman. I didn't mean to make things worse for you," Nerine said, her eyes filled with remorse. "I just wanted to help." Norman looked at her, seeing the sadness in her eyes. He reached out and hugged her.  "It's okay, Nerine. I know you were just trying to help," Norman said, squeezing her hand. "Thank you for being there for me." They sat in silence for a moment, both lost in their own thoughts. Then Nerine spoke up again. "Maybe it's time for a fresh start, Norman. You deserve to be happy," Nerine said, a glimmer of hope in her eyes. Norman thought about her words, feeling a sense of relief wash over him. Maybe it was time to move on and start anew. With Nerine by his side, he felt like he could face whatever the future held. And so, with a newfound sense of determination, Norman stood up and took Nerine's hand. Together, they walked towards the horizon, ready to embrace whatever adventures lay ahead. And as they walked, the sun began to set, casting a warm glow over their path, illuminating the way forward.