Chapter 53

"The supplementary classes will be held on the weekend. Depending on the results, they might have to attend them during summer vacation." The flashback image of the dean, spoke as he fixed the wig on his head. "I don't think they can go to the away games."

As Takeda relayed the Dean's words back to the students, the effect was almost immediate as loud cries of disbelief and despair left four particular players. In an attempt to escape, both Tanaka and Nishinoya suddenly stood up and sprinted for the door with much haste.

"Hey! You two aren't going anywhere!" Daichi yelled out to the two second-years as he held out an arm in their direction. "Ennoshita, catch them!" 

"Roger!" Ever the sensible leader of the second-years, Ennoshita did as told as he already expected the attempt at the escape of the two troublemakers. He was quick to slide in in front of Tanaka and Nishinoya, effectively blocking their route.

"How many points do I need to pass?" Hinata asked in desperation as visible tears had begun to form in his eyes. Whether it was the prospect of not being able to go to the practice camp or the fact that he might fail and retake, no one knew.

"You don't know that?" Sugawara cried in the background.

As for Kageyama, the setter seemed to have gone pale white at this point. No movements could be seen from him, not even breathing.

"Kageyama is barely breathing!" Yamaguchi yelled out in a panic as he looked around for some sort of help or support.

"If we want to remain in the club, we need good grades," Sugawara explained with a happy smile on his face as he watched Ennoshita drag Tanaka and Nishinoya back from their collars. It almost looked like a mother cat dragging her kittens back from the scruff of their necks. 

"You shouldn't fail your exams." Tsukishima looked down at the second-years Ennoshita held with an amused smirk on his face.

That's right." Ennoshita added,

"If we try our best to convince the vice-principal, I'm sure we'll..." Hinata jumped in front of Takeda as he desperately tried to strike up a bargain.

"You should be trying your best to pass your exams." Tsukishima was quick to appear behind Hinata, not wanting to miss a chance when it came to teasing the short ginger.

 "Even if we get the vice-principal's permission, if you have to attend supplementary classes, those will be your priority." Takeda sighed because as much as he wanted all his players to attend the away practices, as a teacher, their education would always take top priority.

All of Hinata's hopes and dreams, which was just more volleyball but in Tokyo, shattered in an instant. As a last result, he ran towards Keishin and immediately grabbed his arm in desperation.

"Coach!" He cried out.

"Well, this isn't something a student can avoid, right?" Keishin stammered out as he looked away nervously, not wanting to get involved with anything academic-related.

"Come on!"

"What matters most is you must persevere!" 

"Mind over matter?" Hinata was a bit taken-aback by the sudden words of the coach that sounded much less like encouragement and more like an excuse to not help him out. "I mean, this is all I can do at this rate! Please teach me!" He bowed.

"Hinata. I really don't want to say this." Keishin started in a much more serious tone causing the student to look up. "Do I look like someone good in my studies?" The coach asked as he put on his best delinquent face much like he did during his school days.