Chapter 6

THE ABATTOIR
Hope: "A man of words and not of deeds, is like a garden full of weeds. And when the weeds begin to crawl, it's like a bird upon the wall. And when the bird away does fly, it's like an eagle in the sky."
"Not for children." Said Layla.
[Hayley goes through the stuff from her parent's storage unit. Klaus attempts to destroy the Hollow's jaw bone.]
Hope: "And when the sky begins to roar, it's like a lion at the door. And when the door begins to crack... it's like a stick across your back. And when your back begins to smart, it's like a knife inside your heart. And when your heart begins to bleed, you're dead and dead and dead indeed."
Klaus: Not exactly the most uplifting reading material.
Hope: It's an old book of rhymes. There's a lot of weird stuff here.
Klaus: You know, Hope, I'd rather you didn't play here, actually. All the splinters and the dust... and the bats.
"Bats?" Said Marcel.
Hope: There aren't any bats.
Klaus: I've seen no evidence that your Uncle Elijah doesn't sleep here, hanging upside down.
People laugh, Elijah glares at smug Klaus.
ST. ANNE'S CHURCH
Elijah: That's quite a blade.
Vincent: Elijah, now is not a good time. I'm working on witch business.
Bella: Well, that would make two of us. The Ancestors are gone. We need a new strategy to keep the Hollow at bay.
Vincent: The Ancestors are not gone. We took down the link that allows them to access this world, but, uh, you can't kill what's already dead.
Elijah: So we reestablish the link.
Vincent: That link was forged on a pact between the living and the dead. A ceremonial sacrifice... of four young women with this blade.
"You aren't doing it!" Glared Davina.
Elijah: I'm quite familiar with the Harvest ritual. Now let us begin.
Bella: Elijah...
Vincent: Don't talk about what you don't understand, Elijah. Most people I know aren't too keen to give their daughters over to a sacrifice, especially when it went so poorly last time. Harvest ritual takes preparation.
Elijah: So, we tell them the truth. We have no choice. Demand the sacrifice.
People look at Elijah's ruthlessness surprised.
Vincent: I'm not demanding anything of anybody, Elijah! Look, I'm working with you because I want to defeat the Hollow. All right? I don't want to start a war with the French Quarter coven. No.
"I'm sorry, Elijah, but he is right." Said Layla.
THE ABATTOIR
Klaus: You're hosting a yard sale?
Hayley: I just figured while we're stuck here, I may as well work out which stuff to keep and which to donate.
Klaus: Listen, I found Hope exploring the rubbish in the attic. She's restless.
"She is locked in a manor. Of course she is exploring things. She is bored." Said Hayley.
Hayley: She's not restless. She's bored. Most kids her age would be at school. They'd have friends to play with.
Klaus: Well, once Freya teaches her to hone her magic, she'll be powerful beyond measure. She won't need friends. She'll be worshiped.
"She is a child, Nik. She doesn't need to be worshiped, she needs friends." Said Bella.
Hayley: She doesn't want to be worshipped. She just wants someone to hold the other end of the jump rope.
"Her cousins can do it." Said Klaus.
"You aren't isolating our child!" Said Hayley.
"I agree with Hayley." Said Bella. Elijah nodded.
Klaus: She'll be above such things. She will have power enough to protect herself from anything. We won't have to trap her in bloody boundary spells just to keep her safe.
Hayley: Thank you... by the way. I know it's not in your nature to keep violence out of this house.
Klaus: Well, we'll protect her innocence for as long as we can. You and I both know the importance of that. No one protected ours.
Everyone looked at them empathetically.
Hayley: Well... while you're here, you may as well help me go through this stuff. You might find something useful.
Klaus: Oh, look at that. How to Defeat the Hollow: Volume One. Hidden in here amongst these old Guns N' Roses records. Oh, sweet child of mine.
Bella, Kol and Layla chuckle.
MARCEL'S APARTMENT
Dominic: Libérer à vérité à. Will someone deal with her?! What is this?
"He came back because of protection spell. Freya kidnapped him and locked him in there to question him." Said Emma.
Marcel: That's a shame. Things do not look good for you.
Dominic: You imbecile. You have no idea what you're dealing with.
Freya: A bit of bluster wrapped up in a protection spell. I'm unimpressed.
"He wasn't trying to impress you." Said Marcel.
LAFAYETTE CEMETERY
Vincent: I don't like to be summoned. Oh, no. No... Elijah, what did you do?
Elijah: Four French Quarter witches, killed on consecrated ground, with a ceremonial blade.
"That's not how it's done! You killed four children!" Yelled Davina and tried to attack Elijah, but got stopped by Emma. Hayley gave him disapproving look. Elijah looked down guiltily.
"Please, remember this hasn't happened yet and refrain yourselves from attacking each other." Said Emma.
"He..." Said Davina.
"I understand your anger, but you attacking him won't change anything. Let's continue watching." Said Emma. Kol sit Davina down.
"I'm sorry." Said Kol.
"It's not your fault." Said Davina to Kol and glared at Elijah.
Vincent: This is not how you do it, man! There's a ceremony! Then there's a ritual! The girls got to be selected!
Elijah: You find a way. And then the girls will be resurrected. Delay will only serve our enemy.
"After Klaus's redemption, you are the one becoming new Klaus." Said Layla. Elijah clenched his jaw.
LAFAYETTE CEMETERY
Vincent: Okay... In order to be reborn, we must have a sacrifice. In order to be reborn, we must have faith. This isn't right. This ritual is supposed to be performed by an Elder of the French Quarter. I'm not an Elder of the French Quarter. This is not my magic.
Elijah: You were the regent of all nine covens! My own mother, my wretched mother, recognized your mastery. And let us not forget, you were the one that was selected by the Hollow itself. So whatever your doubts, whatever our differences, your gift is irrefutable. Now, you will make this your kind of magic.
Davina kept glaring at Elijah.
MARCEL'S APARTMENT
Freya: Ut non zna samo bol. It's done. I've broken through the last of his protection spells. You should leave.
Marcel: I live here... Look, Freya, I'm not gonna leave you alone in here with the Hollow's High Priest of Doom.
Dominic: Let me guess. You got questions.
Freya: As I understand it, your overlord needs to collect four of her bones to be reborn. One of which, the Tunde Blade, you stole from my home. Where are the others?
Dominic: As long as I'm the only one with the answers, you can't kill me.
"Maybe. But she can torture you." Said Bella.
Freya: Magically induced cardiac arrest. Just short of lethal. Where are the bones?
Dominic: I don't know.
Freya: If you won't give me what I want, then I'll have to take it. Dic mihi, hva du vet.
Dominic: [inner voice] Apisi. Apisi. Apisi.
"What was that?" Asked Layla.
Freya: What does it mean? Tell me or I'll just kill you and ask someone else.
Dominic: The Apisi... they were the guardians who protected the bones in ancient times. It means nothing now. I don't have the information you want.
Freya: Well, then, we're done here.
LAFAYETTE CEMETERY
Vincent: Resisite chonje vos elus. I beseech you... accept this offering as a sign of our faith.
Elijah: What is this? What... what is this?
Vincent: They're angry! They won't accept the sacrifice. I told you this was not my magic... They hate you, and they hate me for helping you!
"You were trying to save Hope." Said Klaus and patted Elijah's arm. It didn't reassure Elijah.
THE ABATTOIR
Hayley: I'm gonna say good night to Hope.
Klaus: Hayley, wait.
Dominic: Impressive boundary spell. Unfortunately, it only lasts as long as the witch who cast it.
"What do he do?!" Asked angry Mikaelsons.
HOPE'S ROOM
Hope: Something's wrong. I have to go.
Bella: No, wait, Hope. It's not safe.
THE ABATTOIR
Dominic: The Hollow is gonna have a feast tonight. We can sacrifice the whole family. Your daughter's around here somewhere, isn't she? How convenient.
"I will rip him apart in so many peaces his precocious Hollow won't be able to see him even with a fucking microscop!!" Yelled Bella.
Klaus: Hope! Hope?
STREET
Klaus: Bella!
Hope: Dad. What happened?
Klaus: It's, uh... it's, it's paint. I made quite a mess, didn't I?
Hope: Where's Mom?
Klaus: She's at home, waiting for you. Are you okay? You took your bracelet off.
Hope: Dad, don't be mad. Aunt Bella kept me safe.
Klaus: I'm not angry, sweetheart, come here. [Klaus hugged her. Bella smilled at them.]
Everyone smiled at father-daughter duo.
"You two are so cute." Said Layla.
THE ABATTOIR
Klaus: Is she asleep? She was quiet when we walked home.
Hayley: She didn't exactly buy your story about paint on your hand.
"It was terrible lie." Said Layla.
Klaus: When I think about the horror she must have witnessed when Bella killed those men, it just...
Hayley: No. She didn't see anything, actually. Bella swept her away before she could even understand what was going on. She told her to close her eyes and sing.
"Klaus used to say that when i was young." Said Marcel.
"You used to tell me that." Said Layla to Bella.
"Bella used to say that to me, too." Said Kol. Klaus raised his eyebrow at Bella amused.
"Nik used to tell me that when we were kids." Admitted Bella. Others smiled at them.
Freya: Rough day at the office?
Elijah: Vincent couldn't restored the link to the Ancestors. So, how was your day?
Freya: Dominic had the name of a werewolf bloodline: Apisi. They were entrusted to be the guardians of a bone, like Hayley's family. I've been tracking the lineage and the last of the modern family died a couple years ago, under dubious circumstances.
Bella: Tyler Lockwood. So the bones are in Mystic Falls.
THE ABATTOIR
[Hayley places a photo of herself as a baby on a nightstand and climbs into bed next to Hope.]