A New Job

Magizhini reached Kathmandu at 7 Am the next day. It was supposed to be her wedding day with the beast whom she fell in love with. By this time, she would have become legally and traditionally his. The cold breeze hugged her to calm down her agitated heart. It was cloudy when she got down and the sun was lazy. The bottle green salwar with magenta dupatta that hugged her curves perfectly has made her stand out in the crowd. She wiped her face and checked herself in her phone camera to make sure she looked all right. With a heavy heart, she started to wait for her pickup. Nivetha’s friend Charulatha, a senior from college, is now in Kathmandu. Though Magi knew her, she was not very close to her as she was with Nivi. Her husband is working for a biscuit factory and he had arranged for a job for Magizhini there. 

“Maggie!” Charulatha parked her two-wheeler in front of Magizhini. 

“Charu!” Magizhini smiled at her friend. Charulatha hugged Magizhini happily. She didn't behave like an acquaintance with Magi and that gave Magi a content smile.  Magizhini hugged her back to forget her sorrows for a little while. 

“How are you, Maggie? Everything is set and ready for you. All you have to do is go home, refresh, and go with my husband to the factory.” Charulatha chirped happily. She was really happy to see a friend from college.

“Thanks, Charu. I am really grateful for your timely help.”

“I am happy to help you, Maggie. I know you have some issues with your parents. Nivi told me.”

“I just wanted some time away from everything and everyone.”

“I know. Come on now, let's go.” Charu placed Magizhini’s bag in the front near her legs and started up her two-wheeler. Magizhini sat on the pillion with her thoughts lost in her past. 

“We are here, Maggie,” Charu said parking her vehicle in the two-wheeler parking lot of an apartment.

It was a tall structure with at least ten floors. Charu took Magizhini to the entrance of the building and the elevator. She punched in 7 indicating that her house is on the seventh floor. They walked out of the elevator to the third house on the left. 

“Come in, Maggie.” Charu opened the door with the key in her hands. It was a small two-bedroom apartment. Perfect for a couple with a child. But Charu has no child yet and she has let Magizhini use the other bedroom for now until she finds a place to stay. “Use this room, Maggie. It has an attached bathroom. Take some rest and be ready by 9.30,” Charu told her.

“Thanks, Charu,” Magi said with a light nod

“Stop thanking me for everything. I have to cook breakfast and lunch,” she told her friend and walked into the kitchen to take care of the cooking.

Magizhini entered the room and placed her bag on the table near the door. The room was simple yet peaceful and perfect for her disturbed heart. She took her brush and clothes and entered the restroom. She opened the shower and stood under the cold water. The tears that she had willfully stopped so long started flowing again. 

“I should never go back. I should never contact anyone anymore. Not even Thamizh. I should secure this job and settle here forever.” She told herself.

“I thought doing this will ease my wounded heart. But all I feel now is more empty and wounded. Why?” She asked herself as her tears washed away in the cold water.

At 8.30, Magizhini came out of the room and went to the kitchen where Charu was busy cooking. Magizhini took the knife from Charu’s hand and started chopping the onions.

“Pch, don't touch the onions after taking a bath. You will stink. Give it to me.” Charu took the knife back from her.

“Where is your husband?”