Growing Up!

Soon, Magizhini learned that her mom is never coming back. Thamizhini’s love and affection were the only consolations she had. Ramachandran kept Iniya away from Magizhini. With Thamizhini’s compulsion, Magizhini also started going to the same school as Thamizh. Everything Magizhini got in her life so far, is all because of the unconditional love Thamizhini showered her. Magi was grateful and humbled by the love of Thamizh and had been trying to reciprocate the love as much as possible. 

But that doesn't mean she lived happily ever after. Even with Thamizh’s love and Ramachandran’s care, Magi could not escape the clutches of Iniya. Iniya would never miss a chance to hurt Magi either through words or physically. She hates it from the bottom of her heart when Ramachandran gives his love to Magizhini. Even though it has been disheartening for Magi in so many instances, Thamizh held her hands tight to help her cross those horrible moments. 

On a fine day, Thamizhini was shuffling in her mom’s closet for her birth certificate. She was in her twelfth grade at the time. The school has asked for her birth certificate and community certificate original for some reason.

“Ma, where have you kept my birth certificate original?” Thamizh asked as she have already found the community certificate.

“Why? We have already provided your birth certificate to the school while enrolling you. Why do they want the original?” Iniya asked her daughter.

“I don't know, amma. They have asked to recheck it, I guess. Where is it?” Thamizh kept shouting and Iniya was answering from her workstation.

“It should be in the orange folder. I have labeled the folder leaves. It shouldn't be hard to find it. Be patient and look for it.”

“Ok!” She told her mom and continued surfing through the folder leaves and stopped at a point. An old picture of her mom caught her eye. Her mom looked extremely beautiful along with another lady who resembled her mom in so many ways. Anyone with eyes could tell that they are sisters. But the issue is that Thamizhini never heard of an aunt who is her mom’s sister. 

“Ma!” She called as her eyes laid on her birth certificate. “Who is this?” She asked taking out the birth certificate from the folder.

“Who?”

“This lady you are with. She looks a lot like you.” Thamizhini showed the photograph to Iniya and Iniya’s eyes instantly watered looking at the photo. She grabbed the picture from her daughter’s hand and dragged her finger over the other lady’s image on the photo.

“She was my elder sister.” her voice was almost inaudible but Thamizhini heard.

“How did she die? You have never spoken of her and I have no memories of seeing her.” Thamizh asked her mom as she said it in past tense.

“She died in an accident along with my mom and dad. I was left all alone. You were the only thing that kept me going.” Iniya told her daughter whilst her eyes stayed on the picture. 

“I'm sorry, ma. I’m sure they will all be blessing us from above.” Thamizhini felt bad for bringing up such a tragic incident from her mom’s memories. 

“It’s ok, dear. Did you find your birth certificate?” 

“Yes, ma,” Thamizh said showing the paper to her mom. But that was when she noticed there were two papers. She looked at the paper that came along with her certificate. It was a birth certificate also, a nameless one. It was a girl baby!

“Whose certificate is this, ma?” Thamizh asked her mom and her sharp eyes took in the sudden sadness in her mom’s face. Iniya grabbed the certificate from Thamizh’s hand.