The Tragic News

The doctor showed many profiles of gestational carriers to Kavinaya. But Kavinaya was displeased with everyone that she showed her. She didn't know what she was looking for in the gestational carrier. 

“It doesn't matter who the carrier is, Mrs. Kavinaya. She doesn't share anything with your baby. She is just a house where your baby grows. Her health and clean behavior are what is very important and our hospital takes really good care of choosing a carrier. You don't have to worry about anything. If you are not satisfied with our choices, you are very well welcome to find your own carrier. We will give her some medical exams and will prepare her. Do you have someone in your mind?” the doctor, who got fed up with Kavinaya, asked her.

Kavinaya shook her head in a no to the doctor. Ramachandran decided to let his wife do this because he was ok with anything or anyone until he gets his baby safely and healthily. 

“We will discuss and get back to you, doctor,” he told the doctor and took his wife out of the doctor’s office. She has already undergone the surgical process of taking out the egg and is now ready for the chemo. Ramachandran has also given his sperms. All that is pending is choosing the gestational carrier.

“What are you looking for in the carrier, Kavi? It doesn't matter if the carrier is dark or short or fat or lean. Do you understand that?” he asked his wife as calmly as possible. He feels like she is complicating things more than it already is. 

“I know. My heart is not satisfied with anyone on that file. What should I do?” She asked her husband with innocent eyes. He let out a long sigh and caressed her head. He went away shaking his head dismissing all his worries. 

***

“So, Thamizh is not Iniya madam’s daughter?” Magizhini asked Ramachandran for which Ramachandran shook his head in a no.

“She is mine and Kavinaya’s daughter. But Iniya was the carrier.” He said lost in his thoughts.

***

Iniya came to Coimbatore to visit her sister and brother-in-law. She was in her final year of computer science engineering. She was studying at a very reputable college in Coimbatore. Though Kavi and Ramachandran insisted she go to college from their house, Kavinaya’s parents didn't allow it. They thought it would be very inappropriate and would be a disturbance to them and hence Iniya was left in her college hostel. She would visit her sister every now and then. Especially now that her sister is not in the right state of mind. 

“Akka!” She ran to her sister who was sitting on the hall couch with her eyes looking at something in the computer.

“Come, come!” Kavinaya called her sister in but her eyes never left her computer screen. 

“Ten days study holidays. I am staying here. What are you looking at?” Iniya pulled her laptop only to see her sister looking for carriers online. 

“Pch, you have not decided on a carrier yet?” Iniya asked her sister in perfect astonishment. 

“Not yet. No one feels close to my heart. I don't know what to do.” Kavinaya shook her head as she closed the laptop.

“Everything will fall in place, akka. Don’t worry. Don't think too much. Spend your time with Mama (brother-in-law). I will take care of everything else.” Iniya told her sister. Kavinaya side-hugged her sister lovingly with a beautiful smile that has been missing from her face for the past few months.

Iniya spent her morning hours cooking and cleaning the house while talking on the phone. 

“God, give some rest to your phone. It might burst.” Kavinaya would tease her sister.