Magizhini

Magizhini took Charu to her childhood. The weight of her miserable life was unbearable and she decided to dump everything out of her heart from the start to divert her from his thoughts. She also needed someone’s approval for everything she had done so far to feel less guilty. As Charu is not very close to her, she felt she wouldn’t feel bad even if Charu judged her. 

***

Years ago,

“Amma, amma, wake up! Wake up, amma! I am scared,” a five-year-old child was trying to wake up her mother who has left her all alone in this wide world. She was more mature than many five-year-olds. She knew there is something wrong with the pitiful look of Ramachandran.

“Amma!” She started crying hugging her mom’s neck who was laying on the floor, lifeless. 

“Paappa (baby), don't cry.” Another pair of little hands hugged the crying child. “I think she needs to go to a doctor. Don’t worry. She will wake up soon.” Thamizhini, a year older than the crying child, told what she knew.

“Akka, can you bring the doctor that comes home to check up on your mom? Please, akka!” the child pleaded to Thamizhini and Thamizhini looked at her dad with tears in her eyes. Before he could pull out his phone to call the doctor, Iniya came out of her room hearing all the commotion early in the morning. 

Iniya is just the opposite character of her name. She doesn't like Magizhini. She doesn't like the servant maid who stayed in their home with the child. 

“What is all this ruckus about? Why the hell are you disturbing my sleep?” she screamed and the child shivered in fear. Thamizhini stood between the child and her mother in hopes of saving her from her mother’s beatings. 

***

Yeah, whenever Iniya sees the child, she will scold her and throw things at her. Even if the child spills water accidentally, she would hit the child on her back and make the child clean up. Vidya would silently cry in the kitchen unable to save her daughter from Iniya. When the child gets in the kitchen with teary eyes and a red nose, Vidya would hug the child and kiss her everywhere. She would then play with her to distract her from Iniya’s rudeness. 

When Vidya came here for the first time with Magizhini, she was very weak herself. She had no mother’s milk for the baby. But Iniya was blessed with loads of excess milk that she pumped out and donated. Vidya was scared to ask for milk from Iniya and hence started stealing one pouch every day to feed her baby. The baby started to gain fat and nourishment from the milk and looked chubby and healthy. But it didn't last long. One day, Iniya saw Vidya feeding her milk to the baby.

“Vidya!” She screamed at the top of her voice and Vidya dropped the feeding bottle down. “How dare you to feed my milk to this ugly lump of flesh?” she came into the kitchen like a mad woman and opened the feeding bottle and poured all the milk on the floor. 

“Madam!” Vidya was shocked at her behavior. Iniya was donating her excess milk and she thought taking one for her baby is not a sin. But here, Iniya was not as good as Vidya thought to be. 

“Shut the hell up. I feel irritated to see this. The very feeling that it drank up my milk gives me the creeps. It is driving me crazy. I don’t want to see this and especially I don’t want this to drink my blood. Take it away from me.” Iniya started to scream and Ramachandran came running into the kitchen. 

“Iniya, calm down. It’s nothing. Relax.” He hugged her shoulders and took her to their room. Iniya hated that child with every fibre of her being. She has created an aversion for that child without knowing that this child is going to stay in her life forever.