The Reasons

“So you hunt him down and punished him?” Charulatha asked her friend in astonishment for which Magi let out a bitter smile. She did punish him. But the punishment hurts her more than it hurt him. 

“We didn't have to go in search of him. Ram appa knew who he was. He showed me his picture. Only then did I know why my mom hated me so much. I was just like him. Same eyes, same eyebrows, same nose! I was angry at her for making my life miserable after knowing everything. I had a death wish for that man who’s my father but I was furious at my mom for putting me through hell for something I didn't know or I didn't do. But after seeing that photograph, my anger vanished. I understood that even if she wanted to be nice to me, it would have been impossible for her to not see him in my face. She did everything she could to not see me. Her anger and physical torment scared me and I myself would hide away from her. I now think that she scared me to not show my face to her,” she said with a sad smile that expressed pain in her eyes. 

“So you are like your dad, huh? Who is he? Is he a big-shot?” Charu asked her friend. 

“Huh, DAD? Don’t call him that, Charu. A dad and a mom are born along with the baby when the baby came out of love. Else it is just a man and woman with lust. I am a baby of lust!” 

“Hey, I was just trying to joke. I am sorry if it offended you. No baby is wrong, Maggie. Your parents are wrong. You are not!”

“Huh, he is a big-shot, Charu. If his love was true, if he was a good humanbeing, my mom would have lived a beautiful life. I would have become a princess for my parents.” she said looking at nothing.

‘You could have been a Queen for him even now. You sabotaged everything!’ her conscience mocked her. 

“He was a bad man, my mom was stupid enough to fall for a bad man. It was their mistake but I am paying the price for their mistake with my miserable life.” She added but her conscience mocked her again, ‘your mom was stupid to fall for a bad man, right! And what does it make you for falling for a bad man even after knowing the consequences of your mom’s mistake?’ it asked her.

“Alright, Maggie. Let it all go. You have done what you could. Now just forget everything and get on with your life. Please, Maggie. Don’t feel bad. There will be a special someone for you, he will enter your life on time and your life will become all unicorns and rainbows,” Charu tried to console her friend but her words and that little friendly hug overwhelmed Magizhini. 

‘Special someone!’ Veer’s face flashed in her heart just as she heard those words. The huge stress that has been submerging her reached the bottom and she burst out crying hugging Charulatha. 

“Aaahhh! I didn't know this would hurt me so much! Oh, god! I didn't know! I think I made a mistake,” she cried her eyes out and Charu really got scared. She didn't know how to stop her cries. But she understood one thing, this is not just an emotional breakdown. It is the cries that she has been suppressing all her life. Charu let her cry on her shoulders until she fell asleep. She let her sleep on the bed and went out silently to see her husband sitting on the couch. He came back from his work.

“What happened, Charu?”

“I don't know, Vimal. She has seen so much in her life at this young age. I don't think she has come here to build her career. She has come here as an escape. She is very much broken. I am going to talk to her about not taking up the job on the strawberry farm. Look for a job near us. I don't think it is wise to send her alone in this state of her mind.”

“I will try. There is a single-bedroom apartment coming to rent in our building.”

“She has no money, Vimal. Can she please stay here with us until she finds a good-paying job to take care of herself?”