Chapter 1

"I can't magically shit out a good story, Taylor. That's not how that works. I've been working on this book for over 8 months now, and have met with Gracie multiple times. We're just working out the minor details and it'll publish by the end of next week"

"Madilynn, calm down please. I was just telling you that you need to start writing the next book. Your schedule is as clear as it will be all month. Go ahead and start writing so you wont feel rushed."

"I know. I'll start soon but as of right now I'm going to take my much needed break. I want to see my best friend, Taylor, I miss her."

"Alright, whatever. I'll give you a few days, but that book needs to be done by January." I hear her sigh.

"Got it, sweetheart." She chuckles.

"Goodbye, Miss Reese." I huff out a laugh.

"Goodbye, Mrs. Owen."

I shift in my seat, sliding my hips forward to slouch back farther. I let out a sigh and run a freshly manicured hand through my hair. A few of the blonde strands fall in my face and I tuck them behind my ears.

I look down and the hard copy of my soon to be released book. Roses and Flame. The third book in my soon to be four part series. The cover was black with roses across the front. A few of the roses were lit on fire, the gold and red of the flame bright and brilliant on the black background.

I pick it up and quickly flip through all the pages. The crisp feeling of the pages on my fingers and the smell of a new book makes me smile. I stop on the Acknowledgments pages. A place where I can thank everyone who helped me through this, and made me who I am today.

Placing the book down I pick up my phone again and look through my messages. A few were from my best friend Quinn. Others were from my mom, publisher, and finally Taylor, my manager. She had sent me a picture of my schedule for the next year. The next month was filled with interviews and a book sign. Later in the year I'll have another one in LA. But most of my schedule was me writing the next book.

Stress was one of the few things I rarely felt, with a flexible job and not really having to worry about money, there was rarely a time I felt stressed. But after seeing my schedule, it flared up inside me.

I lean back in my chair yet again and let out a sigh. After messaging my mom and publisher back I open the ones from my best friend.

Quinnie: Hey hoe, wanna get some drinks later?

Quinnie: I've got some news to share.

Me: I could use a few drinks right now.

Quinnie: That bad?

Me: Yeah...

Quinnie: Tell me about it later...

Quinnie: Ok, hun?

Me: Yeah..Ok

I smile down at the messages before sliding it in my pocket and walking out of my office. Walking through my hallway I stop at the mirror and check my appearance.

My blonde hair brushed my shoulders, my freckles were dark compared to my pale skin, and my blue eyes were slightly red from the lack of sleep I had the night before. I pull at the sleeves of my sweatshirt and rub my hands on my sweatpants.

I sigh before making my way to the front door and sliding my shoes on and grabbing my wallet. I lock the door behind me as I walk outside. I pause when I reach out to grab the doorhandle of my car. A shiver runs down my back and I look around but find nothing amiss.