Glass

"Hello?"

"Maxine Harris?"

"Speaking..."

"Just checking if this is you."

"I'm sorry?"

"Have a good night, ma'am."

"Hello? Who is this?"

"..."

"Hello? Hello?"

"Miss Harris! How's the firm going?"

Max pushed her glasses up her nose as the flash of a camera shocked her instantly. She knew that she should have stayed at her home, knowing that Harvey's condo was well known to the public, including the paparazzi. Tightening her bag on her shoulder, the noise of her heels was unheard over the sound of cameras clicking, lights flashing, and screaming reporters following her every move. She tried moving through the crowd, and while she was succeeding, it was taking an awfully long time to reach Ray, who was stuck on the other side of the mob.

"Is it true you're switching firms?"

"How long until the wedding?"

"Where's Harvey?"

"At work," she said to the closest reporter, only answering questions that she wanted to.

Walking briskly, the reporters realized that Max had answered one of their questions, and began to swarm her with even more questions. Max noticed right away that talking to the press was a bad idea.

"How long have you and Harvey been together?"

"Does your father approve of him?"

"Can you give us a statement?"

Max sighed, looking up past the reporters towards Ray, whom she saw pushing his way through the crowd. As he neared Max, she began making her way through to meet him. A hand wrapped around her wrist, and she felt comfort when she noticed it was Ray's hand, guiding her through the throng of people. More cameras flashed, and the crowd got rowdier. She soon realized that the people were getting too close too fast. She also realized that she was in four inch heels, and while she had amazing equilibrium, there was no way she could stop herself from being pushed into the ground by accident.

More cameras came, the flashing became stronger, and for a moment Max's glasses slid from her eyes. That was also the same moment a blinding flash hit her eyes wrong. If the flash hadn't been there, she would have been able to dodge the two gentlemen fighting with one another to get closer to her.

She felt a hard jerk, and went plummeting down towards the pavement. Pushing her hands out, she braced herself for impact. Hitting the pavement harshly, her wrist cushioned the blow as she fell to the ground. She hit the floor, stunned for a moment, when she felt Ray's hands at her waist, helping her up.

Max got on her two feet and practically ran towards the car, sliding in and not allowing Ray to even open or shut her door. She was thankful for the blackout windows at that moment, the camera flashes seeming to die down. She took in a stuttered breath, calming her shaking hands down as she looked to her wrist. Not badly damaged, but still sore as shit.

Ray's worried eyes followed her every move.

"Max," he said, trying to get her attention.

"I'm fine, Ray. You know it takes a lot more than two idiots fighting to get me worried."

She offered him a sincere smile, which he accepted as he turned around, moving the car away from its parking spot.

"I know you're tough. Just making sure that you're alright."