Happy

The first thing she noticed when she woke up put a smile on her face.

It's a gorgeous day for July.

Max had pushed herself into a sitting position on her bed, listening to the soft sounds of the street below. I'm getting married in less than five hours, Max thought to herself, getting out of bed to push her curtains open further, and letting more sun into the room. Clear blue sky, not a cloud in sight. I'm pretty sure I'm shitting a shoehorn by the end of the day. She stretched as she walked towards her kitchen, preparing to make herself food. She quickly stirred up scrambled eggs, grabbing a banana as well.

As she sat in her kitchen eating, she couldn't help but realize this was her last moments as a woman who was not legally committed. Max wasn't nervous about the marrying Harvey. She loved him. Was she deathly scared the marriage would crumble? Absolutely, considering her family's track record. But Harvey and she were both determined to make what they had work. At times, it was hard, but for the majority of their relationship, they understood each other, and inexplicably trusted each other. They were both different from their ancestry, which slightly gave Max comfort.

Realizing Max was now at four hours, she threw her dishes in the sink, quickly washing up. Before she could start anything, the doorbell rang.

The bride didn't bother to check who it was as she opened the door.

"Didn't I say she wouldn't be ready? Sometimes, you are the weirdest creature, Maxine."

"I decided to get married at five in the afternoon for a reason, Donna," Max watched as Donna, as well as Rachel, walked into her home with several bags.

"I knew you were lying about the sunset," Rachel said sarcastically, causing Max snub her nose at her in a mimicking fashion.

Donna pulled a chair in front of the large mirror in Max's main floor.

"Sit," she patted the furnished chair.

Max sat down comfortably as Donna combed through her hair.

"Simple?"

"Yeah, just sweep up the top." Max rested against the back of the chair. "The veil is hanging with the dress."

"I'll get it," Rachel said happily, running off to Max's room where she last saw the dress.

Donna's hands were soothing on her head. "You ready, kiddo?"

Max sighed, "To marry Harvey? Without a doubt."

The redhead's hands suddenly stilled, and Max felt something so odd in that moment. It must have been that both Donna and Max had the ability to know everything. Yes, she was being completely honest to Donna. But Max felt as if Donna knew she was holding something back. Not only that, she knew exactly what Max was holding back, like the fear of ending up an emotionally stumped divorcee with three dogs and a ferret.

Donna had begun to say something before Rachel had come running into the room, holding the veil.

"I forgot how gorgeous the dress is," Rachel commented, laying the long veil on one of the tables, "It's so… elegant, and sexy."

"Grace Kelly meets Sofia Vergara," Donna had said without losing her focus.

"I was thinking the exact same thing," Rachel said, pulling up a chair beside Max.

"So can any of you tell me where my honeymoon's going to be?"

"Oh no," Donna warned, "Harvey made us swear under blood oath that we cannot tell you."

"He had no time for such ritual," Max bit back at Donna.

"Okay, you're freaking me out at how calm you are." One of Max's maids of honour commented as she watched Donna work on the bride's hair as Max sat comfortably.