Chapter 5

............ nope. I'm done..

Year of no Stars- Chapter 5

    As soon as the smoke-spitting beast stops, I burst from its belly. The familiar scent of the forest washes over me, causing my head to feel light. There is actual dirt beneath my bare feet; I run my hand into the rich soil. A smile builds on my face. It smells and looks like home save for the buildings. Sunshine rains down with a nice cool breeze to match.

    “Where is he?” I cry desperately to Marcus as he calmly steps out.

    He shrugs with a grin and asks Tasia who responds in the same manor. I follow the two to the front gate where we meet a lady. She has short brown hair and blue shaded around her eyes. This confuses me but I push the thought away. The female introduces herself as Gwen and we begin to follow her through the building.

    “Where are we?” I ask loudly, trying to get Marcus’s attention. He ignores me, which is unordinary. Gwen speaks to him in a strange accent, giggling and twisting her hair with her fingers. She talks about wolves; she seems to know so much. I clear my throat and pick up my speed to trot up next to Marcus. My head only reaches about his knee and I knock my shoulder into his leg to tear his gaze to me. “Where are we?” I repeat.

    Gwen speaks up in informative tone. “A nature park for wolves; they live here until they can go back into the wild. We look after them while they are healing from injury or illness.” My heart picks up its pace; injury, illness? Does that mean Misah is here because he is hurt or sick? If ever see those men again, they will pay if he has a single scratch on him!

    Before I know it, we reach another door. I slip through after them and my eyes widen with shock at the amount of vegetation. Everywhere, trees sit with giant roots tangled with the earth. Beautiful blooming flowers sway gently, bursting with every different colour. The only difference between home and here are the fences.

    Towering high above me, metal wiring creates a wall of interlocking chain. I can hear playfully howls and flowing barks behind the fences. I feel right at home but my mission is not complete. Behind what fence does my Misah stand?

    “This way,” Gwen says and we continue our journey.

    As we near the furthest of enclosures, I catch the faintest fading scent of him. The moment it hits is flushed with joy; it disappears the next, leaving me empty.

    “I can’t promise you’ll see him, Laura.” When did she learn my name?

    I frown. “I have too.” I sit, staring into a small field of lush grass and a close forest edge. I can hear a bubbling creek not far off. My gaze is cut by the metal fence.

    Suddenly, a figure bounds through the tiny meadow; their paws pushing them forward with immense force. They near, slowing to a halt right before the fence, a black nose wiggles through a hole.

    “Misah!” I cry hysterically. He howls and I reach my arms to full length through the holes in the wall. His grey fur is light and silky, just as I remember. I run my fingers through it many times, tears of joy staining my cheeks. “Let me in there,” I plea up to Gwen.

    She looks unsure; her low cheek bones raised the slightest bit of dubiousness. “I can’t-”

    Marcus cuts her off. “Remember the situation?” I hate that. I am different than others; I grew up in a strange surrounding which became familiar but whenever he speaks about it, it is my ‘situation’. Not ‘how I was raised’ or ‘how I am different’ but my ‘situation’. A growl rises in my throat but I swallow it hard, focusing on keeping Misah’s body against my hand. I can’t lose him again.