Chapter 13

I think this is one of my favourite chapters... I'm not sure why. It isn't the quality... it's just... I don't know...

Year of no Stars- Chapter 13

    “Tasia, you’re back!” I scream as I run toward her. Stumbling on two feet but I manage the fastest pace so far. I throw the screen door open and jump down from the porch and wrap my arms around her neck. “I missed you!”

    No ‘how are you?’ or ‘Was your stay good?’, instead Tasia starts off with, “What happened to you?” I pull away, having not even thought about yesterday’s incident.

    I shrug; most of the pain is gone. “Some barb-wire but I’m doing better!”

    “There’s barb-wire?” Tasia shoots Juliet and Oliver a concerned look but turns back to me. “Has everything been good, besides that?”

    I nod excitedly. “Definitely; I’ve had ice cream, pizza and popcorn!”

    Juliet pulls her eyebrows into a confused expression but she is chuckling. “When did you have popcorn?”

    “Earlier today Noah came by and took Ginger and me over to his house. We watched Lord of the Rings, the fellowship with popcorn! It is the best thing I have ever tasted. I met his brothers, Tim, Adam and Caspian. Oh, and I met Juliet’s brother! They’re all the way from Rome!” My words fly faster than honestly, I can understand but Tasia pretends she understood it all.

    “Sounds like a busy two days,” she says with a happy smile. “Who’s this Noah kid?”

    I grin at the sound of his name. “He lives next door. I met him downtown when we were getting ice cream. He took me out for pizza; where I tried Pepsi and Coca-Cola! He’s super kind.”

    “Are you all right with this?” Juliet asks Tasia. What isn’t there to be all right with? I’ve made a friend and I’m happy. It would hurt to leave him, to leave any of them. I guess I’ll have to give this a try.

    “Do you think I could meet him and his family? I think it would be good for me to know who you are getting to know.” Of course I want Tasia to meet him! Why wouldn’t I?

    “Of course I want you to meet him!” I repeat my thoughts. Tasia nods satisfied and pulls some cards from the bag she carries. They have pictures on them and words, describing what the pictures are. “What are those?”

    “Marcus insists we try this out. A lady, Miss Jonah, will come by in about a half an hour and will take over from there. While she does that, I’ll go meet Noah and his family. Sound good?” Tasia explains, trying to look cheerful.

    I glance at my feet. “I guess.” I want her to stay as long as possible. “As long as you’re coming back after you meet Noah!”

    Tasia chuckles and kisses the top of my head. “Of course, Laura, I’ll be back.”

    Juliet opens the door and we file through. I slip onto the couch and Tasia sits beside me. Juliet sits on the chair opposite to us and I am unsure where Oliver has disappeared off too. Tasia lays out three cards on the cushion between us; I have seen all three. The first is the smoke-spitting beast, the second is the strips of fabric weaved together on the washroom floor and the third is a blooming flower in a pot.

    With a sigh, Tasia begins, “It’s supposed to teach you new vocabulary. Personally, I think you will learn it on your own but according to Marcus and Miss Jonah, this will help. So, tell me what each of these things is.”