Chapter 9

If anyone sees a random 'EF' please let me know. I'll fix it. 

Year of no Stars- Chapter 9

    We finish up the treat, say our goodbyes and leave. We walk down the streets, just as busy as before. My shoulders occasionally clash with someone else’s and I look up to apologize but they would be long gone before my gaze was raised. But at one point, I smash into a boy. He has shaggy blonde hair, just like the one from the coffee shop! It must be him as he places his hand in front of me with a smile.

    Hesitantly, I shake it. Glancing around, I see that Juliet and Ginger have slipped into a store and Oliver waits outside it. It is popping with many different colours and toys are hung from the ceiling.

    “I’m Noah,” he says as a girl comes up behind him. She is stunning with wavy black hair. She is the same girl from earlier and still looks upset.

    “I’m Laura,” I respond, giving them both a smile.

    “Hey! That’s the girl you winked at!” she suddenly exclaims, smacking Noah in the arm.  Her voice is filled with fierceness as she looks back and forth between us.

    “What about it, Lori?” Noah answers with a shrug.

    “What about it? You don’t do that in front of your girlfriend! Or should I say ex.” And with those final words, Lori storms off.

    A moment of pain flashes in his gaze but it quickly passes. “Isn’t she a little over dramatic?”

    I stand there, stunned. Had I really just caused such a situation with only two words? I could not grasp at it fast enough as Noah begins to speak.

    “I know this great pizza place. Are you up for some lunch?”

    I can honestly say I am unsure of what is going on. “I don’t know you… Sorry.”

    “But I want to get to know you! I know pretty much everyone in town so you don’t really have a choice.” A little over confident much?

    I rub my hands up and down my sides nervously. “Sure, I’ll go ask Juliet and Oliver-”

    “The Foringtons? Yeah, I know ‘em! They’ll say yes, I’m sure of it. Let me just text them.” He whips out a strange device that’s handheld and small. His fingers dance across the surface. A moment later, it beeps. Noah laughs and takes my hand, pulling me down the street. Eventually we stop in front of a large, busy building. Delicious, mouth-watering smells waft toward me; meat, vegetables and fish! Excitement bubbles inside me. I have heard so much about pizza.

    I follow Noah and he pulls me into a booth. A waitress on wheels skids up and he orders drinks. A Coca-cola and Pepsi; whatever those are. I look around stunned; speechless and breathless at the same time. Old pictures hand on the walls in black and grey.

     “So Laura, you’re living with the Foresters?” Noah asks, genuinely curious.

    I nod. “Yeah, it’s my first day. Not going so well though,” I say as I lift my bandaged wrist. Usually I feel so uneasy around strangers but Noah is loose and doesn’t know about Jasper and Misah, making things a little easier. Not that I am ashamed; I love them but it seems everyone who knows thinks I will break at any given moment.

    “What happened?”

    “Barb-wire.” I sigh.

    Noah looks surprised. “I can’t believe Oliver didn’t dispose of that when Pickles got tangled up.” He shakes his head.