Chapter 10

So, I did a lot of research for this novel. And I do mean a lot. There is tons of information on feral children and if you are interested, I can direct you to the best sites on Genie and the most fascinating stories of some real feral children. 

Year of no Stars- Chapter 10

    I sit on the couch, curled up in a ball in the corner. I stare at the medium size box on the stand; it produces fast moving images to create a video. It was one of the craziest things I have ever seen. I rarely watched it at the hospital but sometimes Tasia just insisted. I watch something that Juliet called ‘The News’. It’s all about what’s happening in the world.

    Suddenly, my face appears. A picture of me frowning, curled up in the corner of the white room. My mouth gapes open; what am I doing on the box? The image fades and Marcus and a random girl replace me.

    “My name is Iris Crash and I am here with Dr. Marcus Triscot. He is one of the doctors who have help save a girl named Laura Forington, one of the second feral children in many years,” the girl says and turns to Marcus. He is dressed in a fancy white doctor coat. “How was she found?”

    “She was brought in by two hunters, saying they accidently shot her with a tranquilizer, thinking she was just another wild animal like the wolf she was with. The wolf was also shot and is in good care at a nature reserve. When I first met her, she was quiet and very wild though she can speak, which is incredible.”

    “Why is this girl such a miracle to these kinds of reports?” she asks in a rehearsed tone.

    Marcus smiles and answers in an equal way, “She grew up with wolves for thirteen years without any human contact. Her ability to speak is incredible because she was not taught it by other people and learned the skills on her own.”

    I stare wide eyed as Marcus goes on after another question is asked. “Her father, who will not be named, was imprisoned for murder but was recently released as she is all right and has just entered a foster family. She has met her father but he wished for her to have a new start on life.”

    Juliet comes and sits next to me, wrapping a comforting arm around my shoulder. “You want to shut it off?” she asks and I shake my head. I need to know what everyone is being told.

    “She visited the wolf she was found with and that was the moment where our bond broke. She believed she was staying and was heartbroken when she had to leave. But here is a picture of her and the wolf together, sleeping.” Quickly, a picture of me and Misah flashes on screen with sad music playing. I jump from the couch and crawl over to the television.

    “Misah…” I whisper, a tear rolling down my cheek as I trace his muzzle on the screen. I curl my knees to my chest and shove my face into them, sobbing. “I just want to go home! Is that too much to ask?” I cry through my tears.

    Juliet comes over to me and sits, pulling me onto her lap. She rubs my hair in a soothing manner but I push her away. “Why can’t I just go home?” I scream angrily and run out the door. With my vision blurred by tears, I run into the forest. Dodging trees and bushes, I slow to a stop and curl up in a patch of grass. I do not even know if I am still on their property but the scent of the woods calms me the slightest bit.

    I cry into the ground, the earth soaking up my tears. I have no idea how long I lay there but the sun begins to dim so I can tell I’ve been out long. I haven’t even heard my name called once and I am grateful. They are giving me time to calm and not chasing after me like a child.

    “Laura?” I spoke to soon. It is neither Oliver nor Juliet’s voice but a newly familiar one from earlier today. I can hear him tromping through the field, heading in the wrong direction.