Chapter 6

OMG!! If you've made it this far into my story, CONGRADULATIONS! You have earned my love :P It isn't terribly good but I am glad you are enjoying it this much to make it here!!!! 

Year of no Stars- Chapter 6

    “Please, this isn’t good for her. Too much information at once will ruin to poor girl and she’s already been through so much.” I listen to Tasia’s pleas through the door. I had woken up long ago, unable to sleep properly after yesterday. Marcus had visited but left once he realized I did not want to see him.

    “Mr. Forington needs to see her, Tasia. We’ve promised him!” Marcus snaps back and I growl under my breath.

    There is a moment of silence before a new voice is pulled into the conversation. It is clearly male though unusually high pitched. It sounds as if he has been crying. His ways with words are strange; I’ve never heard them but by Tasia’s tone in response, I should not repeat them.

    I hear the door handle turn and I slip quietly back over to my bed. Marcus and Tasia walk in but an unfamiliar man follows close behind. He has dark brown hair with a tint of orange, as if his hair had changed colour. His body does not tower over short Tasia; he is only about a head taller than she. Puffy redness sags underneath his blue eyes, nearly touching his low cheek bones.

    I scowl at Marcus but he does not leave. Tasia takes note of my behavior; a glance between him and I. Though, she seems mildly surprised that I have not taken any interest in the stranger and continue to glare in the doctor’s direction.

    “This is James, Laura,” Tasia says, our gaze locking. Her expression is kind but with an edge of disapproval. “Your, um, father.”

    “Laura.” James says in a barely audible whisper. A new set of tears thinly begin down his hollow cheeks. I glance at Tasia than look back at him. I am uncertain what to say or do, or even if I should do anything. 

    Tasia smiles encouragingly and offers helpfully, “Say something, Laura.”

    “Hi James,” I manage without completely holding a tight tone.

    “You can call me dad,” he responds, crouching to my height.

    “But the title ‘dad’ isn’t given, it is earned and you have not earned my loyalty to be called my father. Jasper is my dad. Not by blood, but by love,” I state in a straight voice. My pitch does not move.

    “Laura,” Marcus says firmly and I growl with sheer force at him. It rumbles at the top of my throat, echoing around the small room. James seems astonished and almost frightened by this sound and takes a step away from me.

    “She is still learning, Mr. Forington,” Tasia says quickly and breaks my attention from the man in the white coat.

    I snap my lips shut, closing the view to my canines. I lick my lips, slightly satisfied and shoot a momentary smirk to Marcus. He catches it, no doubt.

    Shaken, James steps toward me once again; my eyes meet his. Sadness shines, something I have seen too often but I refuse to tear my gaze. “I don’t want to harm you, Laura. I just want to know if you are okay.”

    I shrug casually, though, slightly with edge. He is close; I can feel and scent his breath. It is fresh and I believe Tasia called it peppermint. I cannot be certain. “I’m fine, James.”

   He tenses at his name and a sigh quickly relapses. James glances back to Tasia and Marcus. A silent message is passed between and they both leave. I am left alone with my flesh and blood, strange to my eyes. I have an uneasy feeling that it shouldn’t be that way but I can’t help but want it not to be.